[Newspoetry] Responses to "Amazing, even CBS didn't stop him"

DL Emerick emerick at tds.net
Mon Oct 22 17:29:55 CDT 2007

WHAT I FINALLY SAID?

JOB
I guess you send me such irritations for two reasons –
For they are half way right, and half way wrong, too,
And I am well known to be eager to sort out the two,
And all too willing to say which is which, in my view!
The other is that when you have an evasive itch
To scratch, logical or otherwise, I’ll be your bitch,
rake it with my nails until it screams in high pitch
and explodes in ecstasy apropos of Fall’s seasons,
for we live like Adam and Eve, in sinning treasons.

I don’t know about the truth; I really don’t.
What I do believe is that money matters,
More than anything else in politics,
And that everything else is a ruse,
Designed to distract and confuse people.

ECCLESIASTES
The politics of distraction is always a politics of bodies –
In multitudes of words, you hear a fool’s voice (5:3b),
speaking of the many magnitudes of his business (5:3a),
speaking, thus, of the many vanities he bows unto. (5:7)

You see true violence when you see the poor oppressed --
So do not be amazed at perverted judgment and justice.  (5:8)

What possible difference to anyone else could it make,
Whether some woman chooses to have an abortion,
Because any baby would not be right for her life, now?

The argument that aborted souls are a mockery of God
attempts to point the finger away from “sins” of the self:
it says “See, God?  I tried to save the Souls of BABIES”
when, in fact, a blob of tissues sans a brain has no soul,
a fact we soon forget when we act like blobs of tissues.

The political truth of such matters, though, shines thru,
When Bush and the Republican Army veto S-CHIP.
They care nothing for real babies and real children,
Or to care for people who indisputably have souls.

The whole scene is a mockery of the Right to Life:
You have ONLY a right to be born, according to them,
But no right to live free of avoidable evil and suffering –
That sort of misery is your responsibility, so they say,
being half way right, evading their own responsibility,
Which is why they’re half way wrong, as well, in hell.

They’re wrong about the spirit of love, in any event,
Which, when people have souls, is what is in them –
The soulless are those who live without love in them.

Christians know this yet they ignore it, too much.
They do not hear the words God spoke for them,
To think how great His love must be (as ever “I am”),
To propose theologically, “God so loved the World
That He would let Himself, as His only Son, die for it?”
 “Greater love has no Man than that He die for Others?”

PROVERBS
Now, the stuff of a material world is simply denominated,
In fives and tens, twenties and hundreds – it’s all money ---
And materialists make a big deal about drawing a line,
Between my money and yours, between me and you.

This is the line they draw down through dollar signs ($),
To remind us that they don’t love us all that much,
not when there is ever a dollar to be divided by us.

The average man can not seemingly grasp this fact:
Love knows no such boundaries between you and me,
Love does not draw lines between us, but erases them.

Love is total unity, like that of God, Shema, Shema,
even as physical acts make us one without difference,
where lover and beloved delight in loving-being-loved,
and find infinity in God-made-flesh beyond all senses.

PSALMS and SONGs OF SOLOMON
I feel too preachy, preaching to choirs truths known.
What do I know of hate?  What do I know of greed?
I know them when I see no love in the face of need –
When I hear man complaining and excusing himself:

“I’m not in the mood for love, not if I have to pay for it,”
Thus ignoring that God was always already loving him,
And that he has already an impossible tab run up,
A debt he’ll never repay, if he lives forever and aye.

Then, God says, “I just wanted you to love me,
Like you would find yourself, ever being loved,
Where I find no faults and think madly of you,
Knowing that you will forget me and turn away.

That only happens, my Love, when I forgive you
For being you; for being me, yet loving you anyway.
Yes, I have to forget I am God and you are you,
This is why I make all miracles: I am forgiving you.

Yes, I am a mad God, to love a bum like you –
But I hope to hear you say, ‘I love you, too’
And truly mean it, with all your being’s soul,
And stop turning away from me, running away.

When that happens, my love, the Earth shall move;
The Heavens themselves shall tremble, in delight –
There shall no more be this and that, me and you,
But Oneness in a mushy orgy of omni-loving stew.”