[Newspoetry] I'm bitter...

DL Emerick emerick at tds.net
Sun Apr 13 12:31:23 CDT 2008

The war is persisting in Iraq.  Hell, yes, I'm bitter about that.
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/041308Z.shtml

McCain says US forces will be in Iraq forever.  I'm bitter about that.

In Iraq, the PM Maliki says the Iraqi can't keep their guns because only the
forces of the State are entitled to have guns, and the NRA is silent.  I'm
bitter about that.

The PM launched a campaign to put down his political enemies, by force of
arms, supplemented fatally by American air power.  I'm bitter about that.

Iraqis show up to buy arms with duffle bags stuffed full of bricks of $100
bills, totaling, though no one knows for sure, in the hundreds of millions -
after, of course, the officials in the process have siphoned off other
millions and hidden their takings in Switzerland, or the Bahamas --
somewhere abroad, because every corrupt regime knows the day of accounting
will come some day, even in the most corrupt of countries, like Iraq.  And,
this is all the slush fund money that Bush has been feeding into Iraq, to
prop up a regime, accelerated by the surge strategy of bribing and arming
every tribal leader in Iraq that has a hand out and will take a hand out.
But bubba-bubble economies always collapse, burst at the seams -- and hell
is yet to pay when this one pops.  And, hell yes, I'm bitter about that,
too, at fraud, waste, and corruption Bush has practiced religiously in Iraq.

I'm bitter that Clinton is out there lying and distorting the campaign,
seizing on talking about religion as a distraction from the economic
realities, as if she or McCain were somehow more believing and religious
people than Obama, when the converse is almost certainly true.  I'm bitter
about their false attacks on just that one word in his remarks about why the
people are feeling bitter, living bitter lives.

Yes, we do cling to false personal gods, like anti-immigrant sentiments when
our economy doesn't create better paying jobs and leaves us only with low
paying jobs and we are blamed for lacking job skills, like anti-trade
emotions when we have been promised economic growth from trade and find we
get none of the gains, like our guns, like extremist variants of religion
which claim we are a Christian nation and ought to suppress religious
freedom of those who aren't, like a thousand other things -- when we see
that Washington practices only charades, while robbing us Peters and paying
their Pauls.  It makes us a bitter people, not merry, like Obama said.

I'm bitter because the media is playing the anti-Obama game to the hilt, not
asking McCain and Clinton about bitterness, about why they think the people
are unhappy with Washington.  Oh, no, we can't ask McCain about bitter
Americans, because then they might connect the cause with him, the failed
policies of the Bush years that McCain promises to keep on delivering to us
-- a government that delivers itself to the rich and the powerful, and
delivers none of the people from their bitter plights.

McCain and Clinton are as out of touch, as elitist as you can get, and most
of the pundits, and all of the insiders, are, too -- but that will never be
discussed, not when they frame Obama as the culprit, as being the one who is
out of touch with the people.

I'm bitter.  I'm so bitter I swear to you, I will not vote for those two
frauds, McCain and Clinton, if those are two of my choices in the fall.