[Newspoetry] War in Georgia

DL Emerick emerick at tds.net
Fri Aug 15 16:24:50 CDT 2008

I've studied war.
I learned who "started" it.
I know all the reasons for it.
I will study war no more.
It teaches nothing.

I'm against war.
I'm against militarists.
I'm against those who lead us into war.
I'm against those who follow.
I'm up against myself.

I'm not for war.
I don't want to be invaded.
I don't want to be conquered.
I don't want war.
But I get it.

I want peace.
I want my people to survive.
I want all attackers to stop their campaigns.
I want peaceful solutions.
Why is it otherwise?

US arms and bases are everywhere,
On land and at sea and in the air ---
Out in harm's way, dangerous men stand,
Ready to do massive violence instantly,
And as like begets like; war follows.

For eight years Bush has pushed war
As the primary way to our way of life,
And other nations believe in what he means,
They believe that the means are the ends,
As the chosen means are sole ends of life.

We shall have peace when we choose it --
When we choose to cut back our presidents,
When we strip them of their haughty grandeur,
Their love of war as a sign of their supremacy,
For nations are mostly followers not resisters.

All peace ever is only a resistance movement,
A refusal to make weapons and pick up arms,
A refusal to pursue others to their deaths, or yours,
A refusal to march to the same drummer,
A refusal to make all the same, indifferently.

George and his Georgia is on my mind!