[Newspoetry] Mens Rea: You're on our A-List

DL Emerick emerick at tds.net
Sun Sep 7 14:09:11 CDT 2008

As a "mens_rea" reprise, let us list the countries of the world on the US
A-list.
These A-list nations have all been threatened with war or military action
during the Bush-Cheney war lord years - for they never met a nation they
liked..

China  ---   Russia
Syria (and Lebanon, too)
Iran and Iraq (mission accomplished?)
Afghanistan and Pakistan (yes, even them)
India (possibly, as a hidden guarantee)
Cuba and Korea
Libya (Qaddafi wisely folded)
Thailand and Venezuela
a miscellany of other nations in Africa, Asia, and South America and South
East Europe
finally, France, maybe - how far will a mass-murder-minded GoP really go?

This is what comes of a hawkish mindset that brooks no opposition,
that seizes every opportunity to sell new quantities of arms to fearing
nations -
and thus, McCain is able to talk about a frightening world,
and of the nation's great need for him, to be bogey-man-in-chief,
but never does he mention who is frightening the world or us,
which is him and his parties incessant use of arms to settle all disputes,
or of how so many of the red states feast on military production -
whether by housing big military bases or arms production plants -
the Big Red states of the South are extremely pro-war, extremely pro-McCain,
extremely opposed to reason and to Life on this earth.

Hence, the Bloody Moose party has found a heroine Palin,
Because McCain, out of one side of mouth, says he hates war,
As he promises, out of the other side of mouth, fight for America,
Yes, "Fight, America, Fight. I'm ready to be Commander-in-Chief"

The only way to begin saving this nation is to reign in Executive Power,
This time, not with laws such as we passed after the 'Nam violations,
Because we have seen Cheney doctrine trample, suggestively, those Laws,
And while immediate impeachment would help restore honor to America,
And protect America against new Bush-Cheney provocateurs, in their dying
hours,
We need new Constitutional language, to put the presidency a distance
second, again,
For our Presidency was never to be the Savior of the American people,
And certainly never to be the Savior of the World,
As Cheney doctrine makes it out to be,
In his ambitious unwritten laws of the Supreme Executive,
War-Lord in chief of the world, in a world perpetually at war.

If Obama wants to restore our Government, let him be humble -
Let him announce that he will faithfully execute the laws,
That it is not his job to run every aspect of American life,
Unlike Palin and McCain's inconsistencies -
Where they falsely say they plan to "Get government out of our lives"
As they endorse even stronger federal school privatizing,
To hand out public money meant for a public purpose to private companies
Ones that are held to no public standard -
And are excused from every failing, like Blackwater or Wall Street firms --
Where they would revoke Roe v Wade,
And other mild restraints on Governmental power to invade our private lives,
So the State can supervise how we live more closely and rigorously.

A president needs to honor the Constitution,
Not arrogantly assert, as McCain did on 9/5/08,
How he will somehow magically do everything,
Even be a better Democrat than any Democrat could be.