[Newspoetry] Thought on corruption

DL Emerick emerick at tds.net
Sun May 3 09:52:53 CDT 2009

I've been trying to express my concerns about what sort of standard

that we should apply to allegations of political corruption.

The contemporary standard appears to be that of the Puritanism and Saints.

The problem with it is that it is wholly unrealistic -

Too forbidding, and leads to journalistic sensationalism,

And prosecutorial inquisitions by the partisans in charge of the State

Whenever a violating politician can be discovered,

One who can be strong-armed by threats of exposure or prosecution.

I think I've finally found a better and more reasonable legal standard:

A political payment shall be deemed corrupt

only when the amount of such a payment resembles

what a CEO would have charged for providing similar services.

How's that formula sound?