No subject

Mon Sep 28 13:31:41 CDT 2009

Q Scott, there are 17 former POWs from the first Gulf War who were
tortured and filed suit against the regime of Saddam Hussein. And a judge
has ordered that they are entitled to substantial financial damages. What
is the administration's position on that? Is it the view of this White
House that that money would be better spent rebuilding Iraq rather than
going to these former POWs?

MR. McCLELLAN: I don't know that I view it in those terms, David. I think
that the United States -- first of all, the United States condemns in the
strongest terms the brutal torture to which these Americans were
subjected. They bravely and heroically served our nation and made
sacrifices during the Gulf War in 1991, and there is simply no amount of
money that can truly compensate these brave men and women for the
suffering that they went through at the hands of Saddam Hussein's brutal
regime. That's what our view is.

The Q/A continues for several more minutes...McClellan doesn't budge.  "No
amount of money can truly compensate," so therefore, the 17 POWs will get
'no amount of money.'  (I guess the administration figures that this "can
truly compensate"...The English language is funny at times, isn't it?)