[Peace-discuss] News of Bloomington Anti-War Demo

Peter Miller peterm at shout.net
Thu Nov 1 14:50:21 CST 2001

http://www.pantagraph.com/stories/110101/new_1101010024.shtml

Thursday, November 1, 2001

Activist priest calls for peace

By Scott Richardson  Pantagraph staff

NORMAL -- Churches have failed to take the lead to find peaceful ways to
respond to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, an activist Catholic priest
formerly of Bloomington said Wednesday.

"'Either Christ is a liar or war is never necessary,'" said the Rev. Larry
Morlan, quoting a man imprisoned for protesting against World War I.

Morlan is former associate pastor at St. Patrick's of Merna who served four
months in jail in 1999 for an anti-military protest in Washington, D.C.

He told a largely student crowd of about 80 at Illinois State University
that he advocates non-violent protest and prayer to stop the killing of
innocent civilians of all nations. A Streator native who is pastor of a
Rock Island parish, Morlan spoke at a ceremony to end a two-day fast led by
the ISU Peace and Justice Coalition.

As part of the protest, several students spent two nights in a "village" of
makeshift tents on the quad to draw attention to the plight of an estimated
2 million Afghan refugees living in camps.

Morlan said American bombs have killed civilians, too, and compounding the
damage, the war has halted relief efforts in Afghanistan as winter approaches.

"If there is anything I believe about Sept. 11, if there is anything I
stand firm on, is that we as a people in the United States have a window of
opportunity. If we recognize the wrongness of the killing of civilians that
happened in New York and Washington and Pennsylvania, then maybe we can see
the killing of civilians is always wrong.

"Maybe we can find common ground with the rest of the world on that basis.
We can begin to make international alliances and an international court
system and justice that will be based at least on that basic respect for
human life," Morlan said.

He quoted a biblical passage from Isaiah that foresees a time when swords
will be hammered into plowshares "in the days to come."

"The 'days to come' have come, so I apologize to this generation that the
Catholic Christian church has failed so miserably to live out what we
believe," said Morlan. "There is no peace because there are no peace makers."

"A certain level of education is necessary, perhaps of the clergy
unfortunately, about the principles and goals of non-violence," Morlan
added after the speech.

He encouraged student activists to continue peaceful protests and prayer at
selected targets, such as Reserve Officer Training Corps headquarters on
campuses, and at companies that profit from the war.

"It is not so much the enemy 'out there.' It is the profit here at home,"
he said.