[Peace-discuss] Letter to Editor

Barbara Dyskant bdyskant at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 7 12:02:29 CST 2001

Hi, friends,

I just sent this off to some papers, signing my name, for what it's worth--
I even sent it to the Wall Street Journal, as I used to work near there.
It is based partly on some material Vicki sent in, and partly modified by
my own personal situation and views.  In this particular letter, rather
than hitting all the things I object to about this war (we all know what
those are), I'm focusing specifically on this emergency so we have the best
hope of getting this accomplished.

Here is a humble example of what I submitted.  (I'll be sending more, so if
anyone wants to add ideas, please do -- and also,  still better, I hope
others write to the editors, media, everywhere they can, as well.

Dear Editor,

I, an American mother of three, am outraged and devastated that in the next
month, 3 to 7 million Afghanis will be threatened with death by starvation
and cold UNLESS THE U.S. STOPS ITS BOMBING TO LET INTERNATIONAL FOOD
SHIPMENTS THROUGH before winter. Our own President Bush has said, "The
Afghan people are not our enemy." He must take strong steps to show this.
In spite of the tragedy of September 11th, and the urgency to stop the
terrorists, allowing these people to die will not solve the problem.
Furthermore, if we allow this preventable tragedy to occur, it will likely
increase support for the Taliban in Afghanistan and abroad.

A year from now we may all look back with horror and regret at this
preventable human catastrophe.  I am humbled by this thought.  Six million
people is the same number that died in the Holocaust.  As I look with love
at my own little daughter, I can only guess at what the mothers and
children there are going through.

We want to get rid of terrorism, but in the process, we must preserve our
humanity.  I am convinced that our government can and must do both.

I entreat everyone to talk to our friends, write to our president and
representatives, to be aware that allowing these people to die is not the
way to end terrorism.  The bombing must be halted to allow humanitarian
aid.  It is urgent, as winter is coming.

Sincerely,
Barbara Dyskant