[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] "In Sweeping Campus Canvasses, U.S. Checks on Mideast Students"

John Wason jwason at prairienet.org
Wed Nov 14 12:06:40 CST 2001

At 09:27 AM 11/13/2001 -0800, Simona Sawhney wrote:

>This is from yesterday's paper. If students on our campus are
>similarly questioned, is there any way that we might be able to
>provide support or help? Any lawyers out there?
>
>Simona

Well, I'm sure the ACLU is having a field day with all this.

This reminds me not only of the Cold War but of the Fugitive Slave Act.
When the feds passed the Fugitive Slave Act back in the 1850's, the state of
Vermont voted not to honor or enforce it, and didn't.  I would have the
greatest respect for any university that simply refused to cooperate with
the feds in this new terrorism crap.  But it all seems more complex and
subtle now somehow.

JW