[Peace-discuss] Pacifism and Politics

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 19 00:07:16 CDT 2001

I sent this letter to The Octopus about 2 weeks ago.  They said they
were going to publish it this week, but it didn't happen.  I also
sent a version of it to the Daily Illini a week ago with no response.
So, I figure I will at least share it with you.

Pacifism and Politics

Dear Editor,

I have read several letters recently that equate pacifism to
political anti-war arguments. While there are undoubtedly pacifists
in our community who would oppose all wars, these folks are generally
not writing the political letters against plans for a "war" on
terrorism.  Sometimes it is hard to see the forest instead of the
trees.

Those who support a wider war that would certainly kill thousands of
civilians are entitled to advance their opinions.  However one can
hope that we all will form our opinions after considering the
background and the many sides of the arguments. Those who equate
pacifism to a political anti-war position are misunderstanding the
whole discussion.

I am not a pacifist but I am opposed to going to war against innocent
people who happen to live in a dangerous place.  If we really believe
in the rule of law, we should be in favor of bringing terrorists to
justice.  Why isn't anyone in Washington talking about capturing the
alleged terrorists and bringing them to the International Criminal
Court for a fair trial and legal justice?  President Clinton tried to
kill Bin Laden and disable his organization by firing missiles at
Afghanistan and Sudan but accomplished nothing except death,
destruction and making more enemies.

Remember that the United States Government armed the people who later
became The Taliban in order to fight against the Soviet occupation of
Afghanistan.  The U.S. helped create and then used these people as
pawns to fight the Cold War. Of course, President Clinton had no
trouble in finding and firing missiles into Bin Laden's camps in
Afghanistan!  President Clinton also bombed Sudan's major
pharmaceutical factory at the same time.  Clinton claimed that the
factory was connected to Bin Laden's organization and that they were
making chemical or biological weapons there.  Although the U.S. later
admitted that these claims were untrue, Sudan has lost the ability to
provide basic medicines for its people.  This is the devastating
effect of the U.S. Government's first battle against Bin Laden.

I hope I have made my point clearly.  There is a difference between
being a pacifist and opposing the likely scenario for a "war" against
terrorism.  It is quite patriotic to oppose massive warfare that will
likely encourage further terrorist attacks on U.S. targets.  It is
certainly patriotic to try to hold the U.S. Government to the ideals
set forth in the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights.

Instead of blindly following leaders, we need to wake up and take a
good hard look at American foreign policy and its effects around the
world.  We need to be able to admit that the U.S. Government is not
the angel that it pretends to be.  When a sufficient number of people
do that, we may be able to change the policies that encourage
terrorism.

Al Kagan
--

Al Kagan