[Peace-discuss] Winning Hearts and Minds

Barbara Dyskant bdyskant at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 24 07:43:28 CDT 2001

Hi,

I humbly suggest that as we look at our opposition to this war, and realize
that the vast majority of our people are kind and do not want to cause
suffering to others, we need to look at the fears that have been planted in
the population here in the U.S.A.  I am referring to fear of speaking about
against the "grain" (of being "different" in any way), and also fear of
losing what little (admittedly illusory) "security" we have, and the
economic comforts we have become accustomed to.  We (I am included in this
grouping) have been taught  to equate living more simply with living in
abject poverty and discomfort, with insecurity, even with starvation.  We
want our children to have a good life tend to confuse their needs with some
things that come at the expense of literally the lives of so many others
abroad.

Obviously we need to give people information about the war that is not in
the media, and deal with the fact that the media is pushing this war hard
-- the public generally doesn't get the facts needed to make a reaonable
decision.

At the same time, though, I think that we need to show models to our fellow
Americans that a sustainable future will  help all of us, and can be
lovely.  I got a boost for this in attending an "affordable building"
workshop (the workshop was modestly priced as well) over the last
week-end,where we learned hands-on about building homes, often with
recycled materials and with materials gathered on the site and close by,
that make homes that look pretty much like the usual homes on modest city
lots; there are other lovely techniques for doing that rurally as well.   I
know this may seem silly to those of us (like me) who love homes and
surroundings that don't "fit in" with the "average"idea  -- however, to win
the hearts and minds of most Americans we need to show that they won't have
to give up all of what they value in lifestyle if they move to  more
sustainability.  And this helps people see that by changing our consumption
patterns, energy habits, etc., we can make a huge impact on people's lives
abroad, and lessen the pressure to attack abroad , without starving here,
either emotionally or physically.  Quite the opposite, in fact.   For
example, our family has been involved in learning about and  using
sustainable energy and I've seen it work.   (I'm personally frustrated by
the energy-hog house we hastily plopped ourselves into into when we moved
here on short notice, and we are in the process of getting rid of it).

I'm not blaming the American public for the consumer culture-- this lethal
cycle of materialism and insecurity was presented to us to support the
current business-corporate model that fattens up the few at the "top" and
really does the rest of us no favors in view of the true cost of the
trinkets we get.   While we are offered trinkets, we are denied the right
to affordable universal healthcare, the right to decent food, the right to
a living wage, etc., as well as the right to a secure old age     So we
scramble to keep up what little security we have, afraid of what will
happen if someone gets sick, or laid off, etc.  Our government does not
support us, and certainly doesn't support the people of the rest of the
world.

  I am saying that we need to address this issue by being very reassuring
to those with whom we speak,  when we speak about the war, and about
sustainability, about the true causes of our insecurity.  We need to be
clear that it is possible to be just fine without having have our
government tyrannize people abroad..

Along with that, we need to model joy in our own lives,  and show respect
and love for the people we speak with.  I think most people don't want to
see other people hurt through war and bullying, whether it is from the
White House or the schoolyard bully.  It is our job to help them bring out
those feelings.  We need to model (as best we can) the potential of a
balanced relationship with the rest of the world as something that is a
source of joy and personal security.   We need to be truly interested in
hearing and learning about the concerns of the people we speak with
(obviously we can also walk away from those who are clearly too angry to
relate to us-- there really aren't too many of them, although they are vocal).

As I have been talking with more people on the street, and in the grocery
stores, and on the phone, and everywhere I can, and taken the time to
listen respectfully to people's concerns, to gauge the huge store of
misinformation they have been given, to ask what they think (many our
outright opposed to the war and afraid to speak out; others first say they
support the war, then say they support the war "but" have some reservations
which turn out so big that they don't really support the war; others are
downright afraid).  I think the lady in Susan's post was right-- to choose
the community and environment where each of us feels the most comfortable--
and give it a try.   I myself am comfortable in playgrounds, among other
placees (my daughter loves playgrounds).  And also on the check-out lines,
etc.

It might be easier for some of us to speak to strangers than people we see
fairly regularly, as in some way there is less risk.

Enough thoughts on this for now-- I hope this helps in some way shed some
light on some of the the roots of why some people in the U.S. seem to be
supporting this war, but don't REALLY support it.  We have so much to gain
by practicing peace.

                         Love and peace,
                         Barbara

P.S.  From my admittedly limited  informal (and non-syndicated,) survey of
people's opinions, it looks to me like we might have a majority of people
opposing the war.