[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Panel Finds No Major Flaws in Nuclear Treaty

Margaret E. Kosal nerdgirl at s.scs.uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 2 22:17:41 CDT 2002

The US National Academy of Sciences released a report Wednesday refuting
the US Congress's assertions against ratification of the Comprehensive
Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) on technical grounds.

Perhaps if we accept Munson's response to the NAS report as true: "This
doesn't dramatically change the debate," it may be a more revealing
statement than the NY Times piece suggests.  Rather than a play off Biden's
remarks, Munson asserts underlying policy - that technical testing issues
are not at the core of objection to the CTBT, If the specter of non-US
states obtaining (or allegations of attempts to obtain nuclear weapons)
remains, that leaves open the option for the US to selectively invoke those
real or alleged activities as a rationale for military intervention against
those states.

For others obsessed with primary data, the NAS report is available online
at http://www.nap.edu/books/0309085063/html/ (open book form rather than
downloadable.)

Namaste,
Margaret