[Peace-discuss] discussion please

peterm at shout.net peterm at shout.net
Wed Aug 7 14:33:15 CDT 2002

I've been thinking about this, too; and I think Lisa's exactly right.  We
should be careful about doing something that appears jovial on the
11th.  (I think we'll have more latitude if we plan activities for
the one-year anniversary of the bombing.  Maybe a game of "where's
Osama", for instance.)

The theme that continues to work for me is Mother Jones' famous sentiment,
"Pray for the dead and fight like hell for the living."  Solemn yet
defiant.

Knowing that we need concrete suggestions, I'd propose this:

"Pray": A memorial luncheon on the quad.  A simple bread and soup affair,
open to all with an open mic and perhaps a couple prepared statements.

"Fight": A parade demonstrating our opposition to policies that escalate
violence against others and thereby endangers US citizens.  The parade
should pass by the Armory ("don't allow yourselves to be ordered into a
dirty war") and the FBI ("America declines as the FBI grows").

The theme we express to the public could be MJ's statement.

Just a thought.

-Peter