[Peace-discuss] U.S. Research on Sedatives in Combat Sets Off Alarms (fwd)

Margaret E. Kosal nerdgirl at s.scs.uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 12 13:52:35 CDT 2002

Doug posed the question of “So what” in response to the article i shared
w/r/t the US military exploring the use of psychoactive sedatives as
chemical warfare agents.  Good question: so what?

So
 there is continued, federally-funded active exploration of such agents
arguably in violation of the CWC.

So
 this research is being done completely in the open.  This is not
secret.  See http://www.arl.psu.edu/areas/defensetech/defensetech.html &
http://www.nldt.org/ & the forthcoming report from the NAS.

So
 it is being reported in (rather than sequestered) in the scientific
literature.  Although the specific piece i shared was a news report rather
than peer-reviewed research, Science is premier scientific journal.

So
 would you argue that scientists are perceived to be so apolitical (or
?) that the reporting of activities in violation of the CWC is allowable
part of the discourse?  The text of the news report is sympathizes with the
critics.  The last word is given to a watchdog group rather than a
representative of the military or the researchers pursueing the
weaponization of pharmological agents.

So
 is this application indicative of a trend within the military (as
detailed in the Nuclear Posture Review) to pursue “kinder, gentler”
weapons, e.g. sedatives, ‘bunker buster’ mini nukes.  The US regularly
selectively ignores protocols and treaties, what is the benefit to pursue
weapons somehow more tolerable (?) to the American public?

So
 is this evidence for legislation to limit the pursuit of basic
research at universities, where there is a minimum level of openness &
accessibility?  If basic research is curtailed at universities that would
generate a situation in which the military could validate conducting secret
research at their own facilities.

So
 is it to our benefit as people who would prefer such applications not
be pursued to dismiss each other
 or is it more beneficial to seek allies?

Best,
Margaret
 who was heartened each morning last week to see the C-130 at
Rantoul as long as it was hauling skydivers at the World Freefall
Convention, i knew the US had not invaded Iraq (yet).

 > From Dlind49 at aol.com  Thu Aug  8 03:52:58 2002
 > From: Dlind49 at aol.com (Dlind49 at aol.com)
 > Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 22:52:58 EDT
 > Subject: [Peace-discuss] U.S. Research on Sedatives in Combat Sets Off
Alarms (fwd)

 > So what this is ignored my all DOD.  The military teaches and uses these
and
 > other WMD's on US citizens / civilians / military and any one else in many
 > countries with total immunity.   We / I have written or participated in
many
 > DOD, local, national, and international projects and reports on this
subject.

dr. doug rokke
major, ms