[Peace-discuss] Saudi jet story false

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 17 02:46:39 CDT 2002

Friends,

You may have been amazed, as I was, to hear Michael Moore in recent
appearances tell a story he says he discovered on the "jump page" of a page
1 article in the New York Times, Sept. 30, 2001.  The story goes that a
Saudi jet was allowed to fly around the country collecting members of the
bin Laden family and spirit them out of the country *two days after Sept.
11, while all civilian planes were supposedly grounded* - and that Pres.
Bush would not allow the FBI to question the passengers about any knowledge
they might have about Osama bin Laden.  It seems doubtful they would have
any, given their supposed lack of relationship with their notorious
relation.  But if true, this story is certainly shocking.

The trouble is, the story is apparently false.  I'm embarassed to say I have
repeated the tale, citing where I heard it.  But check the NYT on the date
in question.  The story is there, but it says just the opposite of what
Moore says it says (I'm sorry to say).

The Saudi planes in question (there were two, not one) "were grounded and
initially caught up in the F.B.I. dragnet. Both planes, one jumbo jet
carrying 100 family members, and the other 40, were eventually allowed to
leave when airports reopened and passports were checked," at least according
to Moore's source.  I don't know how he could have misread this, but this is
the only source he cited.  There is some other possibly fishy-sounding stuff
in the article, but not what Moore claims.  I guess we have to be careful
not to get carried away in such times as these.

So, if you were thinking of repeating this story, I would think again.  I
have to figure out who I told...

Ricky

“It is only those who do nothing who make no mistakes. - Peter Kropotkin