[Peace-discuss] Bad craziness in DC

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Mon Aug 26 16:50:14 CDT 2002

"Liberated" means under US dominance and complying with specific directives
designed to achieve economic, political, and military objectives.  According
to Cheney we invaded Afghanistan to liberate them- "B.S." - we invaded to
ensure construction of a pipeline!!  Look at the money trail--Our nation has
been hijacked by individuals pursuing their own economic and political
agenda.

Asia Times - The Oil Behind Bush
And Son's Campaigns
By Ranjit Devraj
Asia Times
10-8-1

NEW DELHI - Just as the Gulf War in 1991 was all about oil, the new conflict
in South and Central Asia is no less about access to the region's abundant
petroleum resources, according to Indian analysts.

"US influence and military presence in Afghanistan and the Central Asian
states, not unlike that over the oil-rich Gulf states, would be a major
strategic gain," said V R Raghavan, a strategic analyst and former general in
the Indian army. Raghavan believes that the prospect of a western military
presence in a region extending from Turkey to Tajikistan could not have
escaped strategists who are now readying a military campaign aimed at
changing the political order in Afghanistan, accused by the United States of
harboring Osama bin Laden.

Where the "great game" in Afghanistan was once about czars and commissars
seeking access to the warm water ports of the Persian Gulf, today it is about
laying oil and gas pipelines to the untapped petroleum reserves of Central
Asia. According to testimony before the US House of Representatives in March
1999 by the conservative think tank Heritage Foundation, Azerbaijan,
Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan together have 15 billion barrels of
proven oil reserves. The same countries also have proven gas deposits
totaling not less than nine trillion cubic meters. Another study by the
Institute for Afghan Studies placed the total worth of oil and gas reserves
in the Central Asian republics at around US$3 trillion at last year's prices.

Not only can Afghanistan play a role in hosting pipelines connecting Central
Asia to international markets, but the country itself has significant oil and
gas deposits. During the Soviets' decade-long occupation of Afghanistan,
Moscow estimated Afghanistan's proven and probable natural gas reserves at
around five trillion cubic feet and production reached 275 million cubic feet
per day in the mid-1970s. But sabotage by anti-Soviet mujahideen (freedom
fighters) and by rival groups in the civil war that followed Soviet
withdrawal in 1989 virtually closed down gas production and ended deals for
the supply of gas to several European countries.

Major Afghan natural gas fields awaiting exploitation include Jorqaduq,
Khowaja, Gogerdak, and Yatimtaq, all of which are located within 9 kilometers
of the town of Sheberghan in northrern Jowzjan province.

Natural gas production and distribution under Afghanistan's Taliban rulers is
the responsibility of the Afghan Gas Enterprise which, in 1999, began repair
of a pipeline to Mazar-i-Sharif city. Afghanistan's proven and probable oil
and condensate reserves were placed at 95 million barrels by the Soviets. So
far, attempts to exploit Afghanistan's petroleum reserves or take advantage
of its unique geographical location as a crossroads to markets in Europe and
South Asia have been thwarted by the continuing civil strife.

In 1998, the California-based UNOCAL, which held 46.5 percent stakes in
Central Asia Gas (CentGas), a consortium that planned an ambitious gas
pipeline across Afghanistan, withdrew in frustration after several fruitless
years. The pipeline was to stretch 1,271km from Turkmenistan's Dauletabad
fields to Multan in Pakistan at an estimated cost of $1.9 billion. An
additional $600 million would have brought the pipeline to energy-hungry
India.

Energy experts in India, such as R K Pachauri, who heads the Tata Energy
Research Institute (TERI), have long been urging the country's planners to
ensure access to petroleum products from the Central Asian republics, with
which New Delhi has traditionally maintained good relations. Other partners
in CentGas included the Saudi Arabian Delta Oil Company, the Government of
Turkmenistan, Indonesia Petroleum (INPEX), the Japanese ITOCHU, Korean
Hyundai and Pakistan's Crescent Group.

According to observers, one problem is the uncertainty over who the
beneficiaries in Afghanistan would be - the opposition Northern Alliance, the
Taliban, the Afghan people or indeed, whether any of these would benefit at
all. But the immediate reason for UNOCAL's withdrawal was undoubtedly the US
cruise missile attacks on Osama bin Laden's terrorism training camps in
Afghanistan in August 1998, done in retaliation for the bombing of its
embassies in Africa. UNOCAL then stated that the project would have to wait
until Afghanistan achieved the "peace and stability necessary to obtain
financing from international agencies and a government that is recognized by
the United States and the United Nations".

The "coalition against terrorism" that US President George W Bush is building
now is the first opportunity that has any chance of making UNOCAL's wish come
true. If the coalition succeeds, Raghavan said, it has the potential of
"reconfiguring substantially the energy scenarios for the 21st century".

(Inter Press Service) ©2001 Asia Times Online Co., Ltd. Room 6301 The Center
99 Queen's Road, Central, Hong Kong
http://www.atimes.com/global-econ/CJ06Dj01.html

U.S. INTERESTS IN THE CENTRAL ASIAN REPUBLICS HEARING BEFORE THE SUBCOMMITTEE
ON ASIA AND THE PACIFIC OF THE COMMITTEE ON INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS HOUSE OF
REPRESENTATIVES

ONE HUNDRED FIFTH CONGRESS SECOND SESSION
FEBRUARY 12, 1998

Next we would like to hear from Mr. John J. Maresca, vice president of
international relations, Unocal Corporation. You may proceed as you wish.

STATEMENT OF JOHN J. MARESCA, VICE PRESIDENT OF INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS,
UNOCAL CORPORATION

Mr. Maresca. Thank you, Mr. Chairman. It's nice to see you again. I am John
Maresca, vice president for international relations of the Unocal
Corporation. Unocal, as you know, is one of the world's leading energy
resource and project development companies. I appreciate your invitation to
speak here today. I believe these hearings are important and timely. I
congratulate you for focusing on Central Asia oil and gas reserves and the
role they play in shaping U.S. policy.

I would like to focus today on three issues. First, the need for multiple
pipeline routes for Central Asian oil and gas resources. Second, the need for
U.S. support for international and regional efforts to achieve balanced and
lasting political settlements to the conflicts in the region, including
Afghanistan. Third, the need for structured assistance to encourage economic
reforms and the development of appropriate investment climates in the region.
In this regard, we specifically support repeal or removal of section 907 of
the Freedom Support Act.

Mr. Chairman, the Caspian region contains tremendous untapped hydrocarbon
reserves. Just to give an idea of the scale, proven natural gas reserves
equal more than 236 trillion cubic feet. The region's total oil reserves may
well reach more than 60 billion barrels of oil. Some estimates are as high as
200 billion barrels. In 1995, the region was producing only 870,000 barrels
per day. By 2010, western companies could increase production to about 4.5
million barrels a day, an increase of more than 500 percent in only 15 years.
If this occurs, the region would represent about 5 percent of the world's
total oil production.

One major problem has yet to be resolved: how to get the region's vast energy
resources to the markets where they are needed. Central Asia is isolated.
Their natural resources are landlocked, both geographically and politically.
Each of the countries in the Caucasus and Central Asia faces difficult
political challenges. Some have unsettled wars or latent conflicts. Others
have evolving systems where the laws and even the courts are dynamic and
changing. In addition, a chief technical obstacle which we in the industry
face in transporting oil is the region's existing pipeline infrastructure.

Because the region's pipelines were constructed during the Moscow-centered
Soviet period, they tend to head north and west toward Russia. There are no
connections to the south and east. But Russia is currently unlikely to absorb
large new quantities of foreign oil. It's unlikely to be a significant market
for new energy in the next decade. It lacks the capacity to deliver it to
other markets.

Two major infrastructure projects are seeking to meet the need for additional
export capacity. One, under the aegis of the Caspian Pipeline Consortium,
plans to build a pipeline west from the northern Caspian to the Russian Black
Sea port of Novorossiysk. Oil would then go by tanker through the Bosporus to
the Mediterranean and world markets.

The other project is sponsored by the Azerbaijan International Operating
Company, a consortium of 11 foreign oil companies, including four American
companies, Unocal, Amoco, Exxon and Pennzoil. This consortium conceives of
two possible routes, one line would angle north and cross the north Caucasus
to Novorossiysk. The other route would cross Georgia to a shipping terminal
on the Black Sea. This second route could be extended west and south across
Turkey to the Mediterranean port of Ceyhan.

But even if both pipelines were built, they would not have enough total
capacity to transport all the oil expected to flow from the region in the
future. Nor would they have the capability to move it to the right markets.
Other export pipelines must be built.

At Unocal, we believe that the central factor in planning these pipelines
should be the location of the future energy markets that are most likely to
need these new supplies. Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, and the
Newly Independent States of the former Soviet Union are all slow growth
markets where demand will grow at only a half a percent to perhaps 1.2
percent per year during the period 1995 to 2010.

Asia is a different story all together. It will have a rapidly increasing
energy consumption need. Prior to the recent turbulence in the Asian Pacific
economies, we at Unocal anticipated that this region's demand for oil would
almost double by 2010. Although the short-term increase in demand will
probably not meet these expectations, we stand behind our long-term
estimates.

I should note that it is in everyone's interest that there be adequate
supplies for Asia's increasing energy requirements. If Asia's energy needs
are not satisfied, they will simply put pressure on all world markets,
driving prices upwards everywhere.

The key question then is how the energy resources of Central Asia can be made
available to nearby Asian markets. There are two possible solutions, with
several variations. One option is to go east across China, but this would
mean constructing a pipeline of more than 3,000 k ilometers just to reach
Central China. In addition, there would have to be a 2,000-kilometer
connection to reach the main population centers along the coast. The question
then is what will be the cost of transporting oil through this pipeline, and
what would be the netback which the producers would receive.

For those who are not familiar with the terminology, the netback is the price
which the producer receives for his oil or gas at the wellhead after all the
transportation costs have been deducted. So it's the price he receives for
the oil he produces at the wellhead.

The second option is to build a pipeline south from Central Asia to the
Indian Ocean. One obvious route south would cross Iran, but this is
foreclosed for American companies because of U.S. sanctions legislation. The
only other possible route is across Afghanistan, which has of course its own
unique challenges. The country has been involved in bitter warfare for almost
two decades, and is still divided by civil war. From the outset, we have made
it clear that construction of the pipeline we have proposed across
Afghanistan could not begin until a recognized government is in place that
has the confidence of governments, lenders, and our company.

Mr. Chairman, as you know, we have worked very closely with the University of
Nebraska at Omaha in developing a training program for Afghanistan which will
be open to both men and women, and which will operate in both parts of the
country, the north and south.

Unocal foresees a pipeline which would become part of a regional system that
will gather oil from existing pipeline infrastructure in Turkmenistan,
Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan and Russia. The 1,040-mile long oil pipeline would
extend south through Afghanistan to an export terminal that would be
constructed on the Pakistan coast. This 42-inch diameter pipeline will have a
shipping capacity of one million barrels of oil per day. The estimated cost
of the project, which is similar in scope to the trans-Alaska pipeline, is
about $2.5 billion.

Given the plentiful natural gas supplies of Central Asia, our aim is to link
gas resources with the nearest viable markets. This is basic for the
commercial viability of any gas project. But these projects also face
geopolitical challenges. Unocal and the Turkish company Koc Holding are
interested in bringing competitive gas supplies to Turkey. The proposed
Eurasia natural gas pipeline would transport gas from Turkmenistan directly
across the Caspian Sea through Azerbaijan and Georgia to Turkey. Of course
the demarcation of the Caspian remains an issue.

Last October, the Central Asia Gas Pipeline Consortium, called CentGas, in
which Unocal holds an interest, was formed to develop a gas pipeline which
will link Turkmenistan's vast Dauletabad gas field with markets in Pakistan
and possibly India. The proposed 790-mile pipeline will open up new markets
for this gas, traveling from Turkmenistan through Afghanistan to Multan in
Pakistan. The proposed extension would move gas on to New Delhi, where it
would connect with an existing pipeline. As with the proposed Central Asia
oil pipeline, CentGas can not begin construction until an internationally
recognized Afghanistan Government is in place.

The Central Asia and Caspian region is blessed with abundant oil and gas that
can enhance the lives of the region's residents, and provide energy for
growth in both Europe and Asia. The impact of these resources on U.S.
commercial interests and U.S. foreign policy is also significant. Without
peaceful settlement of the conflicts in the region, cross-border oil and gas
pipelines are not likely to be built. We urge the Administration and the
Congress to give strong support to the U.N.-led peace process in Afghanistan.
The U.S. Government should use its influence to help find solutions to all of
the region's conflicts.

U.S. assistance in developing these new economies will be crucial to business
success. We thus also encourage strong technical assistance programs
throughout the region. Specifically, we urge repeal or removal of section 907
of the Freedom Support Act. This section unfairly restricts U.S. Government
assistance to the government of Azerbaijan and limits U.S. influence in the
region.

Developing cost-effective export routes for Central Asian resources is a
formidable task, but not an impossible one. Unocal and other American
companies like it are fully prepared to undertake the job and to make Central
Asia once again into the crossroads it has been in the past. Thank you, Mr.
Chairman.

[The prepared statement of Mr. Maresca appears in the appendix.]