[Peace-discuss] Bad craziness in DC

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 28 10:04:50 CDT 2002

So it's okay to dump our civil rights as long as they do it in the open?
This article is just one more example of how our real enemies (in DC) have
become emboldened by Sept. 11 : the spooks see it as an opportunity to come
out of the closet.  All the nastiness that was finally driven underground in
the 1960s and 70s (the stuff Carter, Reagan, Bush Sr and Clinton
Administrations had to do secretly) can now come out in the open again.  O
frabjous day!  Calloo!  Callay!  Once again it's okay to be a fascist.
Springtime in Germany. - RB

[snip]

>THE WESTERN FRONT
>
>Truth and Justice
>Government agents who mislead federal judges are the real threat to civil
>liberties.

[snip]

>Attorney General John Ashcroft is in Democratic crosshairs again. This time
>Reps. Jerrold Nadler and Maxine Waters were accusing him of undermining
>American civil liberties. And this was news!
>
>Ostensibly, the reason for the attack was a ruling by a secret court saying
>the Justice Department was going too far in investigating and prosecuting
>potential terrorists. But the real news here is that America is finally
>getting an open airing of heretofore secret federal proceedings that are
>supposed to draw the line between run-of-the-mill criminal investigations
>and
>those investigations aimed at uncovering terrorists and spies.
>
>So far it looks like the government is doing a better job of protecting
>civil
>liberties than it did before Sept. 11.

[snip]

The reason we, and
>the court, know of these problems is the Justice Department came clean.

[snip]

--the
>Justice Department pegged the number of cases with misleading or false
>information at 75--as it turns out all of those cases were "related to
>major
>terrorist attacks directed at the United States" such as the planned
>millennium attacks and the bombings of American embassies in Africa.
>In March 2001--barely two months after George W. Bush took office--the
>Justice Department came forward with more examples. The problem highlighted
>this time was that in some instances there wasn't a "wall" separating
>criminal from intelligence investigations.

[snip]

Instead of trying to circumvent the rules,

[snip]