[Peace-discuss] another war and Va can't do it right now

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Sat Aug 31 09:11:39 CDT 2002

Department of Veterans Affairs Refuses to Follow the Law
Letter to Secretary Of Veterans Affairs
Michael Woods President NGWRC

Honorable Anthony Principi Secretary of Veterans Affairs 810 Vermont Avenue,
NW Washington, DC 20420

Dear Secretary Principi:

The National Gulf War Resource Center (NGWRC) is writing to ask the
Department of Veterans Affairs to release up-to-date Gulf War veteran death
and disability statistics. The NGWRC informally contacted the VA to ascertain
the status of the report several months ago. The VA Research Advisory
Committee on Gulf War Illnesses also asked for the report through Laura
O'Shea.We have not been given any answer that explains why the VA is not
meeting the statutory requirements of the law and it concerns me personally
to think that the report is actually completed and has not been released
because of the information it contains.

Every three months, as required by law, the VA sends the NGWRC and Congress
the "Gulf War Veterans Information System" report. This law was enacted
because of your efforts as Deputy Secretary in 1992 (Public Law 102-585
Sections 701 and 702). The last Gulf War statistics were released in February
2002. The next release was due in May 2002. VA is now five months delinquent
in distributing these critical statistics.

These Gulf War statistics may provide key evidence about VA's ability to
handle additional casualties from a second Gulf War. The NGWRC is concerned
about the health of past and future Gulf War veterans deploying to Southwest
Asia.

We object strongly to President Bush's recent refusal to spend $275 million
for much-needed healthcare. As a result of this budget cut, VA may not be in
a position to provide adequate and prompt healthcare to current Gulf War
veterans, let alone any additional casualties from a second Gulf War.

Thank you for all you do for Gulf War veterans. Please excuse the
extraordinary measure we have been forced to take in order to receive an
answer on the Gulf War statistics from GWVIS. The NGWRC looks forward to
working with you in the future on this and other important issues. If you
have any questions regarding this letter, please contact Stephen Robinson,
our Executive Director.

Sincerely,

Michael Woods President The National Gulf War Resource Center
mwoods at ngwrc.org

CC: VVA, VFW, Legion, AMVETS, PVA, DAV Sen. John Rockefeller, Sen. Arlen
Specter Rep. Christopher Smith, Rep. Lane Evans