[Peace-discuss] Secure Loose Nukes Now or Pay the Real Price Later (fwd)

patton paul ppatton at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 4 19:49:56 CST 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed,  4 Dec 2002 20:15:52 -0500 (EST)
From: The Justice Project <webmaster at justice.policy.net>
To: Paul Patton <ppatton at uiuc.edu>
Subject: Secure Loose Nukes Now or Pay the Real Price Later

[subclock2.gif] [subheader.gif]
[subclockbottom2.gif]
[theissuenew.gif]
[candoon.gif]
[legislationnew.gif]
[studiesnew.gifborder=3D0]
[pressroomnew.gifborder=3D0]
[contributionnew.gif]
[searchnew2.gif]
[aboutnew.gif]
[subhomenew.gif]
[tjphome.gif]
[tjpcjreform.gif]

      [FORM]

      For less than one percent of what we already spend on
      national defense, our country can help eliminate threat of
      weapons of mass destruction. Tell President Bush to increase
      funding in the FY 2004 budget for programs that account for,
      secure and eliminate existing nuclear, chemical and
      biological weapons. To send your letter, click on the TAKE
      ACTION button or visit http://NuclearThreatReduction.org

      Even though Congress hasn=92t yet finalized a budget for FY
      2003, President Bush and his Cabinet are already preparing
      their national defense and homeland security budget
      recommendations for FY 2004. The administration=92s budget will
      be finalized and presented to Congress in late January 2003,
      so we must act now to make sure that eliminating weapons of
      mass destruction becomes a budget priority.

      We know that terrorists like Osama bin Laden are seeking
      chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons -- in fact, the
      Russian government lists up to 200 terrorist organizations it
      believes may be trying to obtain nuclear material! Yet the
      cost to eliminate the threat of weapons of mass destruction
      is equal to less than one percent of what we already spend on
      our national defense.

      The choice seems clear: we can either spend a small amount to
      secure one nuclear, chemical or biological weapon at its
      source right now, or we can spend billions of dollars to keep
      that weapon from penetrating our borders later on.

      We need your help to make sure the President includes
      increased funding for vitally needed programs that address
      the problem of unsecured weapons of mass destruction in his
      2004 budget recommendations -- it=92s a cost-effective
      investment that could save all of our lives.

      Please click on the TAKE ACTION button or visit
      http://NuclearThreatReduction.org to send your free fax to
      the President today!

      You can also help by forwarding this message to others
      interested in homeland security and reducing the threat of
      weapons of mass destruction.

      Thank you for your commitment to creating a safer future for
      ourselves and our children.

      [FORM]