[Peace-discuss] BBC

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Sun Dec 8 15:10:47 CST 2002

Desert Rat speaks out against war

Maj Gen Patrick Cordingley thinks a Gulf War will be a massacre

The man who led the Allied armoured forces into Iraq during the last Gulf War
has criticised those planning renewed military action against Saddam Hussein.
Major General Patrick Cordingley believes a second Gulf War would be
pointless as it would only lead to tens of thousands of Iraqis being
needlessly killed.

As commander of the Desert Rats (the 7th Armoured Brigade) during the 1991
conflict, he led the Allied armoured forces into Iraq.

But despite such heavy involvement last time around, Maj Gen Cordingley has
told BBC One's Panorama programme that he has strong reservations about a
fresh conflict.

In the Gulf War, the British and Americans lost less than three hundred men,
while the Iraqis lost tens of thousands.

Catastrophic

Inevitably the enemy will take a large number of casualties

Maj Gen Patrick Cordingley

Maj Gen Cordingley now fears that the Iraqi land forces - which have been
weakened by sanctions - could suffer even heavier losses if the armed forces
are sent in again.

He said: "I think it is the fact that fire-power today is so massive, so
overwhelming, so catastrophic when it's used that inevitably the enemy will
take a large number of casualties."

The retired officer also feels that some British soldiers will not feel the
cause is just - especially if President Bush decides to attack without the
explicit backing of the United Nations.

He added: "It is a great shame if you get a situation where they're being
used in a way that the British public are not easy with.

World War III

Ex-CIA man Robert Baer thinks it will be WWIII

"I'm not going to dispute that and they will do their job and get on with it,
but if I was a Commander out there, I would feel sad that we're being used in
a way that did not have the support of the nation."

Also opposed to another conflict in the Gulf is Robert Baer, a former CIA
agent who was wrongly accused by the FBI of plotting to murder Saddam.

In fact, he had been involved in a plot by Kurds and Iraqi dissidents to
unseat the Iraqi dictator - encouraging an uprising which was brutally
crushed by the Iraqi leader.

But he is against another war in Iraq, believing it will create massive
instability in the region.

"What we're inviting is World War Three. In the Middle East. It's too late to
invade Iraq a second time," he said.

Revenge

A war against an Arab country is going to cause several governments in the
Middle East to fall

Robert Baer

Mr Baer claims that his fears are echoed by his former paymasters in the
intelligence business.

He added: "I talk to people in the CIA. They're worried about the stability
of the region."

"A land war or a massive air war, against an Arab country is going to cause
several governments in the Middle East to fall. Among them Saudi Arabia,
Jordan, and possibly Egypt.

"I think people in Washington are so hurt, so damaged by the attacks on
September 11th, that they want to take revenge. And Saddam happens to be the
vehicle."

Panorama: the Case Against War, will be shown on BBC One on Sunday 8 December
at 2215 GMT.