[Peace-discuss] Taking Our Message Further

patton paul ppatton at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 9 16:37:09 CST 2002

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 9 Dec 2002 21:53:12 -0000
From: "Eli Pariser, MoveOn.org" <moveon-help at list.moveon.org>
To: Dr. Paul Patton <ppatton at uiuc.edu>
Subject: Taking Our Message Further

Dear MoveOn member,

The last few days have been simply astounding.  Over 166,000 of
us have signed the letter to President Bush asking him to let
the inspections work.  Then over 14,000 of us chipped in nearly
$370,000 to support an Iraq advertising campaign, which will
kick off with a full-page copy of our letter in the New York
Times this week.

Of course, that'll just be the beginning.  The incredible
generosity with which folks have contributed to the Let the
Inspections Work media campaign allows us to stretch out in
directions that were previously out of reach.  We'll make sure
that our message is heard.

We're working with Fenton Communications to dramatically expand
our print ad campaign.  On Thursday, we'll be running our ad
nationally in USA Today.  And later this week, we'll be
co-sponsoring another New York Times ad, signed by prominent
public figures.  We can't give you details on that yet -- it's
embargoed until a press conference on Tuesday.

But we're not stopping at newspapers.  Next week, we'd like to
run ads on radio stations in Washington, DC.  And because we're
a grassroots organization, we'd like your help in coming up with
them.

Are you an aspiring playwright?  Professional ad man or woman?
Writer?  None of the above?  Take a crack at a 60-second script
for a radio ad with the "Let the Inspections Work" theme.  Post
it to our radio ads ActionForum (below) by Wednesday at 12:00 PST,
and rate what other folks have posted.  We'll scour the best ideas
from this forum when we decide what to put on the air in
Washington, DC.  It could mean airtime for your script.

You can post your ad script and rate other folks' ads at:

   http://www.actionforum.com/forum/index.html?forum_id=251

Beyond radio, here's how our campaign will shape up over the coming
week:

 * When the New York Times ad runs, we'll make a storm of phone
calls -- thousands -- which will increase its visibility and impact.

 * Later, we'll work together to write thousands of letters to the
editor, one of the most effective ways of getting free political
press.

 * On Wednesday, we're helping to launch the Keep America Safe/Win
Without War coalition, a group of major civic organizations
including the NAACP, the National Organization for Women, the
National Council of Churches, and a number of other organizations.
The coalition will publicize and organize a mainstream grassroots
opposition to the Bush plans for pre-emptive, unilateral war.

The momentum for letting the inspections work is clearly building.
Thank you for being part of what is already an amazing campaign.

Sincerely,
--Eli, Peter, Wes, Joan, and Carrie
  MoveOn.org
  December 9th, 2002

P.S. If you eagerly went out and bought a copy of the Times today,
like we did, you'll notice that our letter to President Bush ad is
not in it.  To stretch your dollars as far as possible, we saved
almost half the price of the ad by agreeing to placement within a
window of a few days this week, rather than running it today for
sure.  We'll see it in the paper within the next few days, and we'll
let you know as soon as we do.  If you'd like to see what the ad
looks like, go to our main page at http://www.moveon.org.