[Peace-discuss] Report From Snowy Olean NY

Barbara Dyskant bdyskant at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 17 08:50:22 CST 2002

Hi all,

Greetings.  We ARE making headway.  We now have the Olean Area Coalition
for Peace and Justice (hurray!), named yesterday, with 19 people attending
our last meeting (we've had three so far, each with similar attendance).
We meet monthly and have fledgling workgroups..  We  have our first events
scheduled.   We'll be distributing literature (including info on how to get
involved) on December 26th and 27th at the Olean Mall, right here in this
bastion of conservatism.  One of our ladies secured permission to have a
table there so we're even legit. . It seems fitting to catch the
post-Christmas bargain-hunters and returners-of-presents, who hopefully
will have time to chat whlie they're on their merry way.   For the
bargainhunters-- PEACE -- what a bargain!

We've written up some infomational flyers (still being reworked as we have
extremely varied views on how to present this), gathered some others, and
are getting ready to widely publicize our meetings and events.   We have
people of varied talents and contacts, and it looks like many are
enthusiastic about putting in work.   We' have consensus on a local Mutual
Aid Pact and the draft should be ready for our January meeting for
approval.   People will be going to Washington in January.  We have a
speaker series we are sponsoring along with the college (initiated by
professors  who are also members of the new peace group).    Some of us
would like to see even more, but others want to  make sure we don't over-do
at first.  In the "pipes" (discussed but not started yet) are youth
outreach (including getting some local bands involved-- a nice surprise
given the sedate make-up of our present "core"), possible regular
picketing,  looking at drafting a resolution for this town opposing the
Patriot Act and the war, etc.  Oh yes, for fun, we did sing at our last
meeting, and someone baked a cake to surprise a member who was celebrating
his birthday.  So -- the word is spreading.  Quite a few members have lived
in Olean much or most of their lives, and  this is very helpful in this
relatively small community -- as a newcomer, I have enthusiasm but don't
have the community "stature" others have.

Thanks to AWARE for all the inspiration (and fun along with it) and for
many ideas including the idea of the Mutual Aid Pact, which Barry and I
presented to the group.and now it looks like we'll have it.

Speaking of inspiration-- inspired by your idea, I'm planning to suggest a
library display as well -- thanks.

I'm so happy to be in the AWARE network, and when we come to C-U of course
I'll make sure  to try to see you at "whatever's "cooking."

Love to everyone,
Barbara

P.S.   LOVE hearing your news!  I would have loved to be out there with
Carolers For Peace.  It's been snowy and down to minus 10 degrees here (oh
the crispy toes) but if we had company Barry and I would have bundled up
Nadine and gone out even here.