[Peace-discuss] nuclear threat reduction questioky

Margaret Kosal nerdgirl at scs.uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 19 22:55:16 CST 2002

Ricky-

None of what you suggest.
These folks are doing critical *real* work to limit the proliferation of
nuclear weapons.  NTI does have strong DC beltway ties, which are
immensely valuable, as are those who work from outside the system.  Most
of their day-to-day analysts are progressive leaning to radical
non-proliferationists.

NTI is one of the biggest suporters of the NPT - the only international
law document to limit the spread of nuclear weapons.

Compared to Russian & the former Soviet states US nuclear weapons and
fissile material stockpiles are secure.  That's the point.  It's fairly
well-known that Pakistan obtained much of its fissile material via the
black market from former Soviet states.

NTI is trying to get the US govt to be more actively  responsible to
the world community.

Namaste,
Margaret