[Peace-discuss] disaster

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Sat Dec 28 08:14:05 CST 2002

Given the battle plans, the amount of contamination existing from Gulf War I,
lack of adequate hygiene, lack of medical care for all involved, and current
and increasing casualty count from Gulf War I and ongoing actions since 1991
this is an understatement.  We must stop this war now!

U.N. Warns of Iraqi Humanitarian Disaster
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 5:37 a.m. ET

LONDON (AP) -- War with Iraq would cause an avalanche of refugees and a
humanitarian disaster, the United Nations refugee chief said in an interview
broadcast Friday.

``Believe me, it will be a disaster from a humanitarian perspective,'' U.N.
High Commissioner for Refugees Ruud Lubbers told British Broadcasting Corp.
radio.

Lubbers said a war would create many new refugees, and could lead to Iraqis
being killed by stockpiled chemical and biological weapons.

``The first responsibility is to prevent this,'' he said.

The Bush administration has threatened to attack Iraq unless it cooperates
with the U.N. disarmament process.

U.N. inspectors have been working in Iraq since Nov. 27 under a Security
Council resolution that threatens serious consequences if Iraq is found to
have nuclear, chemical or biological weapons.

``We should indeed be very strict and strong on Saddam Hussein, but the
ambition is to de-arm him,'' Lubbers said. ``Only when Saddam Hussein does
not comply with both the inspections and the consequence of the inspections
... Then that could be a reason for a military intervention.''