[Peace-discuss] reply to news gazette letter to the editor from AIC Stephens

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Mon Dec 30 10:36:14 CST 2002

The following is my response, with supporting documents, that I sent to AIC
Stevens, USAF, who wrote a letter to the Editor of the News Gazette that was
published in the December 29 edition.

Airman Bryan Stevens
PSC 9 Box 0027
APO, New York, NY 09123-0027

Dear Airman Bryan;                          December 29, 2002

    Greetings from Illinois and Happy New Year.  I read with great interest
your letter to the editor that was published in the Champaign News Gazette on
December 29. Thank you for writing. Your willingness to support the rights of
the AWARE protesters to protest is to be commended. During October 1967 I
took the same oath you did recently "to defend the constitution of the U.S.
against all enemies both foreign and domestic" and to obey the orders of
those above me. However, those orders must be legal. Any combat action that
we take must be based on a verified threat to the actual security of the
United States and not for economic or political reasons.  I am a combat
veteran of both the Vietnam War and Gulf War I (40% disabled from Gulf War I
combat related injures) and also have been called already to come back on
active duty for Gulf War II. They need our entire team but we are all
disabled from previous combat injuries.  I served in the USAF during Vietnam
and have been in the Army since 1980. During the Gulf War, I was on the
theater medical command staff as a member of the 12th Preventive Medicine AM
team, a member of the famed 3rd U.S. Army Medical Command's "Bauer's
Raiders", the health physicist on the 3rd U.S. Army Depleted Uranium
Assessment team, and also a member of the 3rd U.S. Army Captured Equipment
team.   I worked for General Tsoulos, General Brown, General Franks, General
Schwartzkopf, and General Pagonis. During 1994-1995 I was the DOD /DA
depleted uranium project director.  I have held ranks from E1 (Airman)
through O4 (Major) and I am in line for LTC.  My expertise is combat
emergency medicine, as I was a combat medic and medical team leader (Super B)
in the infantry for 3 years, NBC or WMD, combat operations, and medical
intelligence. I have also taught counter-terrorism for years to law
enforcement.  In civilian world I was/am a university professor of
environmental engineering, a physicist, and school teacher. I am sorry but as
a Army officer who has been involved in all aspects of the Gulf War I and
also involved during all planning phases for Gulf War II since 1995 I must
tell you that from my professional and ethical perspective the upcoming Gulf
War II is completely unjustified. The primary public reason for going to war
is to disarm Iraq.  That means to eliminate all of its weapons of mass
destruction while we, the U.S, retain and continue use our own on military
personnel and civilians. Heck, we already blew Iraq's WMD's up years ago. The
U.S. Senate has verified in the Riegle report (extract enclosed) and recent
new Iraqi report (enclosed) that the United States military and civilian
companies gave or sold Iraq the WMD's that they used with our full knowledge
and consent on Iranians and Iraqi Kurds. We made a movie: "Thanks of a
Grateful Nation", that documents the efforts of Jim Tuite, a good friend,  in
preparing that report for the U.S. Senate. Iraqis then made more WMD's from
our provided stuff that they used on us during Gulf War I. During December
1990 we decided at the command headquarters to blow up Iraq's WMD's in place
(Schwartzkopf's autobiography "It Does not Take a Hero" page 390) resulting
in incomplete destruction and consequent release of  WMD's on military and
civilians with serious adverse health effects and lasting.  We then blew up
over 105 more WMD sites right after the completion of the ground war
releasing lots of WMD's all over on everyone. Scott Ritter (Major, USMC,
UNSCOM) then went in and blew up the rest until 1998. DOD officials continue
to lie about why Scott's UNSCOM team left Iraq in 1998. They say Iraq forced
them out and stopped the inspections.  That is absolutely wrong! U.S. DOD
officials ordered Scott's United Nations teams out of Iraq so they could
launch Operation Desert Fox. Scott Ritter is a good friend of mine and I
helped train some of the inspectors.  Scott is telling the truth in spite of
overt retaliation against him by DOD officials.  Retaliation against any
military officer, government employee, or civilian who tells the truth is
also occurring. We also used pesticides with terrible health effects (see
enclosed report).  The U.S. also used and still is using depleted uranium
munitions, our own dirty bomb and a weapon of mass destruction in violation
of international law (see enclosed report). Iraq just like Afghanistan (see
enclosed congressional report) is all about control of oil nothing more
nothing less. Gulf War I was based on Iraq invading Saudi Arabia  and that
Iraqi soldiers had committed numerous atrocities in Kuwait, that we never
verified as specified to justify Gulf War I. . We actually baited Iraq to
invade Kuwait. Kuwait was part of Iraq until England took it away and set up
Kuwait by force years ago to control oil shipments. The U.S. and England have
maintained combat actions, bombing and killing anything that they deemed a
threat within the "No Fly Zones" for years. That includes children and women.
According to Dr. Hans Von Sponek, of the United Nations, the United Nations
never authorized those actions or the "no fly zones".  The last issue is the
removal of Saddam from power. That action is illegal according to
international laws and treaties, but, the U.S. ignores laws and treaties
anyway. The sanctions have been a disaster for all civilians per WHO and UN
and many NGO's.  The consequences of the Gulf War are described in my invited
talk in the U.S. Senate (enclosed) and Major Denise Nichol's (USAF, Ret.)
analysis (enclosed) of the recent VA Gulf war casualty report.  Now you are
about to go to war in a contaminated region with defective equipment (M40
series gas masks) and defective MOPP suits. The M 40 series mask pops of the
face when you move your jaw or get sweaty. See enclosed congressional
directive to DOD's Sec. Def. Rumsfeldt that this still ignored. I would not
use the M40 series mask for anything because your life will depend on it and
it is defective.  When is the last time you qualified with a rifle? How many
rounds did you fire?  If you think that you will not ever have to fire a
weapon in combat you are flat wrong. So is the war justified? NO!!! Are U.S.
troops prepared for war and is equipment operational? NO!!! The U.S. General
Accounting Office Reports (GAO -03-137T  dated 1 October 2002 and numerous
other reports) verify that U.S. troops are not prepared and equipment is
defective. Does Iraq posses a offensive capability that can threaten the
United States? No, as verified by our work during the 3rd U.S. Army Captured
Equipment project, intelligence documents, and UN assessments as cited in
"Newsweek" article about September 25. Iraq does not even possess adequate
defensive capabilities. You do not need to use any classified information to
derive these conclusions. By the way the U.S. used and still is using WMD's
on our own civilian and military population (Project Shad- see enclosed
report). I have given a lot for you to think about and it is intentional. You
wrote about us anti-war activists that quote "I feel that you are misinformed
and are acting solely on emotion". The expertise of these individuals in
political science, environmental engineering, religious studies,
international affairs, military operations, and general knowledge is
exceptional. The world wide information sharing and distribution system is
also excellent. We also have the University of Illinois here with all of its
resources and experts available to each of us upon request. These
individuals, all of us, are not just working from emotions but from an
extensive knowledge base that spans over 40 years and many wars and conflicts
for many of us. AWARE and other peace groups have also sponsored numerous
"teach ins" during which local, national, and international experts have
shared information and discussed implications. Newspaper stories, television
documentaries, congressional coordination, and internet communications have
also increased knowledge. I am describing a system where by knowledge is
optimized though research, acquisition, discussion, and debate. That is
completely different from the military where knowledge and news is absolutely
controlled and substantial and extremely important knowledge is willfully
omitted or withheld.  Congressional, United Nations, National Academy of
Sciences, Centers for Disease Control, Department of Veterans Affairs, and
Inspector General reports have all verified the willful omission and
destruction of information and military records.  Please note that the
individuals tasked with information control of military and private media in
the Pentagon and at CENTCOM are old friends of mine and I once participated
in their efforts.  Sorry but you and others members of the military are the
individuals that lack information based on your comments and not us "anti-war
activists".  I am an antiwar disabled combat veteran who was and still is
involved in military operations as I have been for over 35 years. But Airman
Stevens you do not have to believe me, enclosed congressional reports, or
other information that I cite or provide just go do your own research. If you
have any questions please ask me and I will reply. Yes, you can share this
with your commander and friends. Please do!!!  President Bush, Secretary
Rumsfeldt, and all others in DoD know about our group of concerned senior
military officers, civilian scientists, government employees, and religious
leaders by name and have deliberately shut out our reports and
recommendations.  Please have nice day. Last, you need to really look at who
is killing whom all over the world from Korea to Afghanistan to Alabama to
Germany to Puerto Rico to California to Hawaii etc.! Also look who is
trashing the world's environment as always. Yes it is the U.S. and we wonder
why everyone is pissed at us.  Also the U.S. is the largest weapons exporter
of all through our Foreign Military Sales branch in the Pentagon that
includes conventional and WMD's.

Peace:

Dr. Doug Rokke
Warrior and Patriot