[Peace-discuss] RE: Peaceful Tomorrows

megminer megminer at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Tue Feb 26 12:30:49 CST 2002

Hope this isn't a duplicate submission. Here's a networking opportunity of
possible interest to all in this area.
Meg

: http://www.peacefultomorrows.org/
:
: 9/11 Families Unite to Launch "Peaceful Tomorrows"
:
: Group Sends a Valentine to President Bush Asking for an Afghan Victims
: Fund
:
: NEW YORK— Family members of people killed on September 11 gathered in New
: York today to announce the founding of a new organization, September
: Eleventh Families for Peaceful Tomorrows. The founding members, including
: family of those killed at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and the
: flight 93 crash in Pennsylvania, announced plans to work together to
: promote effective, non-violent ways to counter terrorism and to advocate
: for an open discussion about peaceful and just responses to the September
: 11 tragedies that took the lives of their loved ones.
:
: "We chose Valentine's day to launch Peaceful Tomorrows because our families
: have been comforted by the love, compassion and sympathy of people all
: over the world," said Colleen Kelly who lost her brother William Kelly Jr.
: at the World Trade Center. "It is this spirit of healing and understanding
: that we want to bring to the world in memory of our lost loved ones."
:
: Members of the organization include a delegation of family members who
: recently returned from a trip to Afghanistan to highlight the plight of
: those innocent families affected by the US bombing campaign, family
: members who led a walk for healing and peace from the Pentagon to the
: World Trade Center in November, as well as other families who have spoken
: with concern about the US response to the September 11 tragedies.
:
: Peaceful Tomorrows members have asked that violent responses to the
: September 11 tragedies, such as the US bombing campaign in Afghanistan,
: not be done in their names and the names of their loved ones. Members say
: they were concerned about the lack of discussion about options to respond
: to the events of September 11.
:
: "We believe that the American people have been denied a dialogue on
: appropriate responses to the events of September 11," said David Potorti,
: East Coast Co-Director of Peaceful Tomorrows, who lost his brother at the
: World Trade Center. "Our single-minded rush to war has been made without
: thoughtful consideration of long-term consequences for our safety,
: security, and freedom. We will use our voices to promote a discussion
: about better solutions, ones based on justice, not vengeance."
:
: One of the first projects the group is undertaking is the Afghan Sister
: Families Campaign to help families in Afghanistan suffering from the
: effects of the US military campaign. Kelly Campbell, sister-in-law of
: Craig Amundson who died in the Pentagon, and West coast co-director of the
: group was one of those who made the trip to Afghanistan. She explains: "We
: met many Afghan families who lost loved ones due to the US bombing because
: they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, just like our
: loved ones were on September 11. These families are suffering just as we
: are yet many of them are also struggling to feed their children, let alone
: rebuild their homes. Helping these innocent victims of our government’s
: action is simply the right thing to do."
:
: The group is asking the US government to conduct a study of civilian
: casualties in Afghanistan, and to provide compensation to affected
: families.
:
: "We are delivering a valentine to President Bush today, asking him to help
: us set up a fund for the innocent Afghan victims," said Phyllis Rodriguez,
: who lost her son Greg Rodriguez at the World Trade Center, as she held up
: a letter signed by Peaceful Tomorrows members asking for a meeting with
: President Bush to discuss an Afghan victims fund. "By helping others who
: are suffering from the effects of violence and war, we honor the memory of
: our lost loved ones in a positive way."
:
: Peaceful Tomorrows members will speak at public events, join with
: like-minded organizations working for peace and justice and endorse
: policies to promote peace and understanding throughout the world. The
: group invites other families and friends of those lost on September 11 and
: supporters of their message to join Peaceful Tomorrows. To learn more,
: visit on the web at http://www.peacefultomorrows.org.
: