[Peace-discuss] Fwd: [SRRTAC-L:7405] Oil company adviser named US representative to Afghanistan (fwd)

Arun Bhalla bhalla at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 8 14:44:23 CST 2002

That's interesting.  The following article may be the first time I've seen
American mainstream media acknowledge plans for an oil pipeline through
Afghanistan, and hence a large oil field in the region.  It also
discusses Khalilzad in brief.

http://www.msnbc.com/local/boshld/M124685.asp?cp1=1

Arun

"Margaret E. Kosal" writes:
> Al -
>
> As always, thank you for the informational forward.  I have very much
> appreciated many of the non-mainstream news pieces which you have shared.
>
> Someone w/whom i shared the following article (contextually, a Scripps
> Research Inst medical prof), made the reactive commentary of "Who would you
> suggest?  I can't think of a better envoy.  Afghani-born, with an
> understanding of the culture and an awareness of what economic benefits oil
> development could bring to the country."
>
> Ignoring the specious thinking in the last sentence (w/r/t benefits of
> oil), do you or does anyone else in the accumulated wisdom of this group,
> have a specific answer to the question: "who would you suggest?"
>
> Warm regards,
> Margaret
>

> At 09:00 1/8/2002 -0600, you wrote:
> <snip>
> >>Oil company adviser named US representative to Afghanistan
> >>By Patrick Martin
> >>
> >>http://www.wsws.org/articles/2002/jan2002/oil-j03.shtml
> >>
> >>President Bush has appointed a former aide to the American oil
> >>company Unocal, Afghan-born Zalmay Khalilzad, as special envoy to
> >>Afghanistan. The nomination was announced December 31, nine days
> >>after the US-backed interim government of Hamid Karzai took office
> >>in Kabul.
> >>
> >>The nomination underscores the real economic and financial
> >>interests at stake in the US military intervention in Central Asia.
> >>Khalilzad is intimately involved in the long-running US efforts to
> >>obtain direct access to the oil and gas resources of the region,
> >>largely unexploited but believed to be the second largest in the
> >>world after the Persian Gulf.

Arun Bhalla