[Peace-discuss] More about Rolling Thunder Tour

Barry Miller bamiller at igc.org
Sat Jan 26 00:15:25 CST 2002

As I see it here, we as AWARE, are already doing this.  Maybe, as Mark
Enslin has mentioned, we could add to the Chicago event.  On the other
hand, would hosting such an event here act as a catalyst to bring together
more of the people in the area that are not yet with us.

Jim Hightower – in collaboration with such national organizations as ACORN,
Service Employees International Union (SEIU), Friends of the Earth, Global
Exchange, The National Council of Churches, Public Citizen, the Ruckus
Society, United for a Fair Economy, and Working Assets, as well as such
activists as Ben & Jerry, Paul Wellstone and Patch Adams – is launching a
series of progressive citizenship festivals in various cities across the
country, combining serious purpose with good fun.

The serious purpose of this “Rolling Thunder Chautauqua Tour” is to forge
new coalitions among local progressive groups and to strengthen existing
coalitions. The idea of each Chautauqua is to get to know each other
better, figure out ways to work more closely together, identify one or more
uniting actions we can pursue together – and generally to leverage the
tremendous activism that already exists at the American grassroots, making
our progressive movement stronger as a whole than we are as separate parts.

Each Chautauqua will be designed to serve as a catalyst for long-term
coalition-building at the local level, beginning with the event itself,
which would bring together a large and broad group of progressive
constituencies (not just leaders) to spend a day or two in a sort of
citizenship fair — learning from each other, getting top-notch training on
everything from media work to fundraising, having activist workshops on
issues and organizing, participating in both short-term and long-term
strategizing sessions, getting energized by two or three rousing speeches,
joining in a march or demonstration, and simply celebrating and reflecting
on the breadth, depth, and power of grassroots progressive activism.

Remember, however, that the Chautauqua spirit is a festive one —our
official credo is: You can fight the gods and still have fun! As we nurture
the civic side of our community, let's also relish the cultural side,
interspersing the event's agenda with some of our best musicians,
comedians, artists, satirical troupes, and other performers. And what's a
festival without good food and drink? Let's enlist local restauranteurs,
food companies, wineries, and microbreweries Also, bring on the puppets, a
poetry slam, a farmer's market, a baseball game... whatever. Think of it
like a county fair, where citizens come together to learn, participate,
celebrate and enjoy.
Do YOU want to Chautauqua?

If you want to help sponsor, plan, organize, and participate in a Rolling
Thunder Chautauqua event in your area, or if your
organization/business/union/or other group would like to be a national
partner in the Rolling Thunder Chautauqua Tour, check out RTD2 Headquarters
and sign-up!