[Peace-discuss] Chicago "die-in"

David Green davegreen48 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 29 12:12:58 CDT 2002

A message from the co-founder of Not In My Name:

Message: 4
   Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 21:27:41 -0700
   From: Steven Feuerstein
<steven at stevenfeuerstein.com>
Subject: A report on the NIMN vigil and die-in

Friends,

Not In My Name today held an all day vigil (8 AM to 5
PM) to protest
the
bombing in Gaza that took 15 lives, including 10
children [you can see
pictures of the action at www.nimn.org, thanks to
Joel!]. We felt that
it
was important to respond to this terrible attack
because it was so
clearly
a response to the momentum gathering among Palestinian
organizations to
announce a cease-fire. One of our primary tasks is to
show that the
Sharon
government uses violence to provoke violence, uses the
fear and terror
of
suicide bombings to build support for his extreme and
violent policies.

Four members of NIMN gathered at 8 AM and started
handing out flyers
and
holding signs that said:

BUSH STOP SUPPORTING SHARON
CHICAGO JEWS CALL FOR AN END TO MILITARY AID TO ISRAEL

After several hours of leafletting (with more and more
people joining
the
action), we held a "die-in" at noon. Originally we
were going to hold
the
die-in (described below) on the plaza next to the
building housing the
consulate, but there were very few people there. So
instead, we held
the
action on a busy street corner in downtown Chicago
(Wacker and
Michigan).

Each participant wore around their neck several signs
containing the
names,
ages and circumstances of death of Israeli and
Palestinian children who
had
been killed in recent weeks. On my signal (me being
the man with the
microphone!), about a dozen people dropped to the
sidewalk and sprawled
out
flat. This, of course, attracted lots of attention
from passers-by. The
Chicago police were very cooperative. As long as we
did not block the
sidewalks, they did not try to make us move or stop
our action.

The die-in lasted for forty minutes (on a hot, humid
Chicago day, this
represents quite an accomplishment and a lot of
commitment and
discipline
on the part of those who were prone!), accompanied by
somber drumming
by
Cindy Levitt. We then continued to hold signs, hand
out leaflets and
talk
directly to Chicagoans via our sound system until 5
PM. a contingent
from
Christian Peacemaker Teams also joined us for an hour,
giving us a
welcome
boost in numbers and spirit.

All in all, we handed out over 1200 leaflets. Many
people responded
positively, joined us, took up a sign, gave us their
names and
addresses to
follow up. Others, of course, screamed, yelled, spit,
and showed us
their
middle fingers. Needless to say, we were not deterred.
Having a good
sound
system also made it easy for us to talk right past the
most obnoxious
and
belligerent people.

We had minimal media coverage, namely a Chicago
Tribune photographer
and an
AM news radio station interview (WBBM). We were
disappointed that the
TV
cameras did not come for the die-in. We learned from
today's action,
though, how powerful and effective is street theater
well-done. I
predict
that NIMN will repeat the die-in the future, organized
on a larger
scale,
and succeed in generating lots of media coverage. And,
of course, if
the
Tribune does run a photo, this event will have had
much broader impact.

We are not under any illusions that what we did will
change the
direction
of US policy towards Israel, but we definitely raised
the awareness of
number of people (one man said to me wonderingly: "We
give money to
Israel?"). Plus, we learned a number of lessons about
how to organize
effective actions. And, finally, we took action, which
is vastly more
satisfying and less depressing than reading the
endless stream of
emails
full of bad news. Protests as therapy!

Special thanks to Joel Finkel, who worked tirelessly
on this effort,
particularly in writing the flyer and press releases!

Steven