[Peace-discuss] Re: solution to a non-problem (fwd)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 6 21:44:31 CDT 2002

Francis--

I agree that there's evidence -- public at least since Charles Beard's
time -- that FDR's government wanted the Japanese to strike the first blow
in the long-brewing imperial conflict between the US and Japan -- just as
Lincoln arranged for the Confederate states to be the military aggressors
at Ft. Sumter.  But I don't think Robert Stinnett (or Gore Vidal, in a
recent series of letters to the TLS) have shown that the American
government expected it to be as devastating as the attack on Pearl Harbor
actually was.

It's remotely possible that something similar is true of people within the
American government before 9/11, but the motive is much less apparent.
FDR really did have to reverse the sentiments of an anti-war populace in
1941 to secure American participation in WWII (which he clearly wanted).
There was no such need to mobilize US opinion last fall.  We were all
(well, most of us)  perfectly complaisant with the "war on terrorism"
before 9/11 -- as we had been since it was announced twenty years ago.
We allowed Clinton to lob cruise missiles around and even commit
aggression in central Europe -- and even a new Mideast war would not have
required knowing complicity in attacks within the US. (Look how quickly
9/11 was discarded as a casus belli in Afghanistan, how quickly its
justification reverted to the "humanitarian war" on the Kosovo model.)

Regards, Carl

(PS: It's interesting to be discussing Pearl Harbor this week, the 60th
anniversary of the Battle of Midway, where barely six months after the
attack on Pearl, the Pacific War was essentially won, and the US could
begin the "Grand Area Planning" for the world it knew it would dominate
after the war.  I have a certain personal connection as well: my maternal
grandfather, Annapolis '07, was commandant of the naval base at Pearl
Harbor in the thirties: it was his successor who was there on December 7,
1941.)