[Peace-discuss] Rather: I'd be necklaced if I told the truth

Jim Buell jbuell at prairienet.org
Mon Jun 10 21:47:04 CDT 2002

Greg Palast mentioned this incident from BBC Newsnight last month, during
his talk on Democracy Now last Friday. It's worth knowing about. This
account is from the Guardian -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/bush/story/0,7369,717097,00.html.

Palast, BTW, is not especially impressed by the confessional. As he put it
in a different radio interview from last Thursday on his own site
(http://www.gregpalast.com/detail.cfm?artid=162&row=1):

>He's sitting there talking about being part of the
>propaganda arm of the U.S. State Department.
>There's that line from Shakespeare in Hamlet --
>"words without deeds never to heaven go." And
>my view is, okay, Dan, you've just confessed.
>But, you know, you run a news program, Dan.
>
>We can't say you're off the hook with three Hail
>Marys. What you have to do now is go back to
>your network and say: no, I'm not going to read
>this crap anymore.

jb