[Peace-discuss] Rovics on sects... (fwd)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu May 9 14:00:45 CDT 2002

[I've liked folk-singer David Rovics since I first heard him on WEFT.
Someone sent me lyrics from his new song and his comment on it. --CGE]

...The second, "Vanguard," is my answer to ANSWER and other sectarians.
Perhaps in "Vanguard" I run the risk of seeming self-righteous, or of
letting anarchists or others off of the sectarian hook.  This is not my
intent.  My intent is to comment on the divisive role certain sectarian
organizations play, and to say (not universally, but to many) "leave your
party and join the movement!"

(more stuff at www.davidrovics.com)

Vanguard
David Rovics

Worker's World says that they have all the answers
And Milosevic is a guy that they admire
The ISO says Trotsky is the man
And they'll debate it until they all expire
The industrial workers will lead the revolution
So claims the SWP
No, the truth lies among the lumpen
That's the RCP

The Sparts say the rest can go to hell
And everyone else is a Stalinist
The CP will just do their thing
And pretend the others don't exist
Well I had a realization this morning
When I looked into the red and dawning sun
I've figured out the truth
And I'm forming a party of one

(Chorus)
I am the leader of the workers
And I'll tell you why the Left is circumspect
Because there's something you don't understand
Only my line is correct
'Cause I am the vanguard of the masses
And all of you should just follow me
If you doubt my analysis
You must be in the petty bourgeoisie

But I am not sectarian
It's all the rest who are
I work fine in coalitions
As long as I'm the shining star
So bow down to your master
The lastest V.I. Lenin
And off to the camps to all of you
Who'd say, "not this again"

'Cause I am the leader of the workers...
...I'll fill your head with propaganda 'til you agree

And I'll have no music at my protests
And none of that goddamn puppetry
I'll just have some somber slogans
No decadent frivolity
My chants will be the right ones
Just the ones that should be said
And my banners we'll wave proudly
Just the proper shade of red

And I will build the party if it kills me
I am solely dedicated to the cause
If I have to stab you in the back
This won't give me pause
'Cause my platform will take us forward
And the ends always justify the means
And you must step aside behind me
Be you Quakers, Jews, anarchists or greens

'Cause I am the leader of the workers...
...I'll make sure that you agree