[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Alert - Support self-determination for Western Sahara

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Sat May 18 21:12:27 CDT 2002

I thought I should provide some context on this.

The situation is Western Sahara is left over from the colonial
period.  When Spain was finally chased out by guerilla movement,
Morocco and Mauritania moved in and divided it up between them.  The
guerillas defeated Mauritania, but Morocco then took the southern
area.  The struggle still continues in the desert with Morocco
defending the capital by building a wall around the city. Large
numbers of refugees are in refugee camps in Algeria.

--

Al Kagan
Africana Unit, Room 328

tel. 217-333-6519