[Peace-discuss] Fwd: South Korean unions threaten strikes ahead of World Cup

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Mon May 20 23:47:07 CDT 2002

FYI, it seems we need to discuss globalization issues a bit more in
the context of international solidarity.  For example, the
anti-sweatshop movement is an example of a US consumers movement
allying with a poor country producers labor movement.  Or the
pervious boycott of Shell Oil was an example of the US consumers
allying with the movement of the Ogoni people in Nigeria who were
protesting Shell's defilement of their environment.

In another way, our support for women's movement in Afghanistan,
RAWA, might be another example of solidarity.  A current example is
our hosting of the Israeli refusenik.  We can also think about how we
relate to the Palestinian struggle in a more direct way.

--

Al Kagan
Africana Unit, Room 328

tel. 217-333-6519