[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Not In Our Name

by way of Barry Miller <bamiller at igc.org> JDavidSwift at aol.com
Tue May 21 00:45:53 CDT 2002

  It was great to see everyone at Susan's.

Love and Peace,

Barry

Dear Friends,

I have been hearing about this document and the June 6th effort by people
to declare their continuing determination to promote economic and social
justice. Thanks to Joan Smith, who sent us a copy, we may find a way
locally to participate.  I am sending  it on to others and  hope many of us
can seek out the Not In Our Name gatherings wherever we are on June
6th.   Karen Harvey

Not In Our Name: The Pledge to Resist

We believe that as people living in the United States it is our
responsibility to resist the injustices done by our government, in our names.

Not in our name will you wage endless war, there can be no more deaths,

no more transfusions of blood for oil

Not in our name will you invade countries, bomb civilians, kill more
children letting history take its curse over the graves of the nameless

Not in our name will you erode the very freedoms you have claimed to fight for

Not by our hands will we supply weapons and funding for the annihilation of
families on foreign soil

Not by our mouths will we let fear silence us

Not by our hearts will we allow whole peoples or countries to be deemed as evil

Not by our will and Not in our name

We pledge resistance

We pledge alliance with those who have come under attack for voicing
opposition to the war or for their religion or ethnicity

We pledge to make common cause with the people of the world to bring about
justice freedom and peace

Another world is possible and we pledge to make it real

WAR ON THE WORLD

DETENTIONS AND ROUND-UPS

POLICE STATE RESTRICTIONS

WE ARE PEOPLE OF CONSCIENCE who cannot stand silent as our government wages
war without limits of time and space. We cannot stand silent as immigrants
are rounded up and detained. We cannot stand silent in the face of new
police state restrictions threatening the very right to dissent. We refuse
to allow President Bush to speak for all the American people. We will not
give up our right to question. We will not hand over our consciences in
return for a hollow promise of safety. Together as one, we say NOT IN OUR
NAME.  We extend a hand to those around the world suffering from these
policies. We acknowledge that we in this country have a special
responsibility to resist what our own government is doing, from military
interventions to supplying arms used to shoot down and terrorize people
from Palestine to the Philippines. We encourage everyone to take up the
globe as a symbol of solidarity with people worldwide.  The NOT IN OUR NAME
project draws strength and inspiration from the important anti-war and
anti- repression efforts to date. At the same time we all know that much
more is needed. The NOT IN OUR NAME project is being developed to
strengthen and expand the existing movement of resistance, that must take
many forms. Resistance of critical thought, resistance by speaking out,
resistance through creating powerful art, and resistance through finding
ways to halt the machinery of war and repression.  Resistance by
individuals and resistance through mass action. There already have been
inspiring examples of resistance, and we would hope the Not in Our Name
project would inspire more things like:  Campuses erupting with debates and
protests, people uniting together to defend Arab, Muslim and South Asian
immigrants who come under attack, working to free those detained and
supporting those who are targeted. Civilians supporting soldiers and
reservists who resist illegal and unjust orders, Support for writers,
artists, activists and everyone who comes under attack for breaking ranks
and daring to dissent.

WE WILL NOT "WATCH WHAT WE SAY."   WE WILL DARE TO DO WHAT IS NECESSARY.

We encourage everyone to take up the NOT IN OUR NAME project and to help
launch it on June 6. On that day, thousands of people in cities across the
country will take a common Pledge of Resistance, declaring their
determination to resist now in diverse ways and to stop this
course.  Following this launch, the pledge must be spread throughout
society. We urge all people of conscience to take up the pledge and help
make it a force in society against this war and repression. We also must be
prepared to respond to major escalations. Throughout the summer, the Not in
Our Name project and pledge will be taken out across the country, leading
to a Day of Mass Resistance in the fall. WE MUST DARE TO CHANGE THE COURSE
OF HISTORY.NOT IN OUR NAME We encourage individuals and organizations to
take up the NOT IN OUR NAME project.

Get in touch right away to help make it happen! Email us at
notinrname at hotmail.com or call 212.969.8058 for more information CONTACT:
Karen/Ai at 510.594.4075 <www.notinourname.htm>www.notinourname.net