[Peace-discuss] Update on farmer's market street theatre

Clint Popetz cpopetz at cpopetz.com
Fri May 24 18:51:19 CDT 2002

As many of you heard at the last meeting, the farmer's market kicked
street theatre out last week after about 3 sentences, for being "too
political."  After some work from our friendly councilwomen, it turns
out to be even more complicated.  The farmers at the market are, it
seems, angry that we could be vocal and move around while they have to
sign a contract that forbids them to "hawk their wares" outside of
their booths.  Some have threatened to withdraw from the market it we
are allowed to shout about the war, and the people coordinating the
market have threatened to arrest us for tresspassing (they actually
lease the parking lot from the city, so this is evidently possible) if
we do it again.

However, thanks to the efforts of Danielle, an arrangement has been
worked out where the city will give a booth to street theatre free of
charge, and we can perform, IF we promise to stay in the booth and not
be too loud, and perhaps tone down the politics for a week or so until
feathers are unruffled.

I'm sending this to AWARE in case they would like to share that booth,
i.e. have someone handing out flyers about AWARE and upcoming events
(i.e. the refusenik talk.)  I can't staff that booth, as I'm staffing
the food coop booth, and just taking a 10 minute break to do street
theatre.  This seems like a great way for AWARE to do outreach.

				-Clint