[Peace-discuss] saudi leaders say NO!

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Mon Nov 4 07:23:28 CST 2002

DUBAI (Nov. 3) - Saudi Arabia, a key U.S. regional ally, said on Sunday it
would not allow the United States to use its facilities for any attack
against neighboring Iraq even if a strike was sanctioned by the United
Nations.

''We will abide by the decision of the United Nations Security Council and we
will cooperate with the Security Council. But as to entering the conflict or
using facilities... that is something else,'' Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal
said.

''Our policy is that if the United Nations takes a decision on Chapter 7, it
is obligatory on all signatories to cooperate but that is not to the extent
of using facilities in the country or the military forces of the country,''
he told CNN.

Chapter 7 of the U.N. Charter makes it mandatory for member states to
implement any measure immediately as part of international law.

The remarks were the strongest rejection by Saudi Arabia -- which was a
launchpad for the U.S.-led 1991 Gulf War that drove Iraqi troops out of
Kuwait after a seven-month occupation -- of any assistance to a possible U.S.
attack on Iraq.

The rejection comes in the midst of strained relations between the strategic
allies over last year's September 11 attacks on the United States, in which
15 of the 19 men believed to be the suicide attackers were Saudis, and Saudi
anger at what it sees as U.S. bias toward Israel in the Middle East conflict.

Saud said there was no crisis in ties between the U.S. and the kingdom, the
largest oil exporter to the United States.

Washington could launch an attack on Iraq without using bases inside Saudi
Arabia but the air campaign would be more difficult if it could not at least
use Saudi air space.

Mary Matalin, counselor to U.S. Vice-President Dick Cheney, told CNN's ''Late
Edition'' program following Saud's comments that the United States had many
other allies it could depend on.

Asked if Saud's comments marked a serious military setback to any U.S.-led
effort against Iraq, she said: ''We have many friends and allies in the
region and we have many friends and allies around the world...We would never
engage unless we were sure that we could get the job done well.''

White House spokesman Ari Fleischer told reporters aboard Air Force One as
President George W. Bush flew to Illinois on a domestic political trip: ''I
don't talk about operational issues or basing issues'' and declined further
comment.

APPARENT SHIFT IN SAUDI POSITION

Prince Saud has in the past indicated the United States could use bases in
Saudi Arabia for an attack on Iraq if it was sanctioned by the United
Nations. It was not clear what prompted the apparent shift in the Saudi
position.

Faced with Riyadh's possible refusal to be a launch pad for strikes on Iraq,
the United States has poured $1.4 billion into expanding Qatar's Al Udeid
facility into a major air base and military staging ground.

Washington has several Gulf bases, mainly in Bahrain, Kuwait and Saudi
Arabia, and Qatar is increasingly becoming a key base for U.S. military
operations in the region. The U.S. used Udeid base last year after Riyadh
refused to let U.S. planes and troops heading to Afghanistan use its Prince
Sultan base.

Gulf power Saudi Arabia and its tiny neighbor Qatar are currently locked in a
diplomatic row over several issues including Doha's decision to allow U.S.
access to Udeid base.

Western diplomats say Riyadh, which recalled its ambassador from Doha in
September, was incensed at what it saw as Qatar's efforts to present itself
as Washington's main regional ally, a role Saudi Arabia has had for decades.

Saud told CNN the kingdom wanted a political resolution to the Iraq crisis
and that Baghdad had made a ''very clear and unambiguous promise'' to Arab
states that it would abide by U.N. resolutions. ''We think the road is set
for that.''

Washington wants to end Baghdad's alleged pursuit of weapons of mass
destruction and has threatened military action. The United Nations is seeking
a resolution to allow U.N. weapons inspectors back into Iraq after a
four-year absence.

Iraq denies U.S. weapons charges and has agreed to the return of arms
inspectors.

''Saudi Arabia's position is a position to support the political settlement
of this issue because we think it is feasible,'' Saud said.

The oil-rich Gulf region is bristling with U.S. troops and weaponry, Saudi
Arabia alone has 5,000 U.S. troops, and Washington has said it would require
regional military help for any offensive against Iraq.

Saud said the Iraqi people should decide the fate of their president and
warned against a long-term U.S. military presence in Iraq in the event of an
attack. ''You can never make a permanent change through occupation by foreign
forces,'' he said.

Reut19:30 11-03-02