[Peace-discuss] U.N. resolution for Iraq makes war inevitable (duh!)

Alfred Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 15 14:20:10 CST 2002

Ricky makes an excellent point, and that is in fact the job of the
inspectors, to verify what is there or not. So our role is to demand
that the inspectors have sufficient time to do their work. Most of
the rest of the world will also be demanding the same thing.

Furthermore, the US will likely look for the slightest discrepancy to
declare a "material breach," while most of the rest of the world will
want to see something major.

Finally, just because a minor or major discrepancy is found does not
mean that the UN Security Council must automatically decide to take
military action.  There are any number of other steps that could be
taken instead.

And of course, in the end, the US might still go to battle on its
own. However, we have work to do at every step in the process.

Al Kagan
Africana Unit, Room 328
University of Illinois Library
1408 W. Gregory Drive