[Peace-discuss] Fw: forwarded new of Sheffield witches

Lisa Chason chason at shout.net
Sat Nov 30 19:51:42 CST 2002

Subject: forwarded news of Sheffield witches

> Thought you'd like to hear what sheffield women against war got upto on
the day of action, 31st October, because we really enjoyed ourselves!. Our
theme on Halloween was "All souls are equal, all deaths are mourned, no war
on Iraq" 12 of us, wildly witchelly attired met at 12 midday on Devonshire
Green and in our coven shared ideas about what we wanted to do and practiced
our chants. (see attached.)then with broomsticks duly adourned with messages
such as "don't attack Iraq" "women against war" - we glided through the
city, starting at Cole Brothers department store. Once all of us were on the
escalators we began our songs and chants, and handed out "spells" to bemused
and embarassed shoppers and delighted children. On gliding up to the 5th
floor, and gliding down again, still singing, security guards made some
polite attempt to encourage us to exit when we got to the ground floor. this
we did as our aim was to break moulds and complacency,  to surprise but not
provoke. On we glid to the central library and circled round the lending
library and onto the music library, this time respectfully singing in hushed
tones "study war no more" much wry smiling from the book stacks and from
librarians. We gave out our leaflet (see attached) to those interested,
suggesting they reply to our local paper with their responses about what
would make a world a safer place. Security arrived and suggested we sing
more quietly "as it is the library after all" on through the Millenium art
gallery and up to the university to support the occupation of the
engineering department by students and anti war protestors, in protest at
the 20 million contract the university has with Boeing aerospace. We glid
singing into the entrance lobby occupied by sitting students and standing
security guards and received cheers and , from later feedback, we lifted
spirits and lightened the atmosphere . on we glid taking some women students
with us- to Debenhams and finishing with MacDonalds.

> we were just one part of a whole raft of actions during this day of
action. it felt very good to play our part , strongly women and definitely
mischievous in an action that developed its own flow and generated, rather
than depleted energy.

> this action is making us rethink our Friday evening vigil especially as
the evenings are cold and dark. we have now tried a walking vigil on Friday
lunchtime, wearing our placards as usual but walking slowly 3 women abreast.
It certainly provokes much stronger responses in both directions .when we
have decided on a form and time we will let the WiB list know.