[Peace-discuss] Senate debate begins - hurray for Byrd

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Mon Oct 7 16:24:02 CDT 2002

I find the debate on whether or not to authorize an attack on Iraq
interesting because the fundamental question as to: By what authority under
what international law can Congress even vote on this issue?   Somehow the
legality of the vote just escapes them. Pure arrogance!  The U.S. Congress
has never and does not now possess any authority to establish international
law and authorize the U.S. military to attack Iraq. Iraq is a sovereign
nation. Iraq has not attacked nor conducted any belligerent act at this time.
The possible threat, that is questionable, is not the same.  This case is the
same as if Willy Sutton, the infamous bank robber, and his colleagues of bank
robbers just voted to make robbing banks legal.  So Congress votes to
authorize an attack -- then what?   Who is next? Germany voted to and then
launched WWII? We then went to war over that action.  I do not see any
difference at all.

I think that because the arrogant authorization is eminent that focusing on
the defective WMD protective equipment, inadequate medical care capability,
probable environmental effects, and actual effects on combatants and
noncombatants should be the focus of efforts to prevent war.

dr. rokke
major, usar