[Peace-discuss] Speech by Director Emeritus of Harvard Hillel

David Green davegreen48 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 29 15:18:03 CST 2002

Recently Lawrence Summers, the President of Harvard,
in so many words accused the divestment movement of
anti-Semitism. Following is a speech given at Harvard
with a very different tone, whatever the speaker's
(unstated) tactical views may be. (But there are
statements here that I do not agree with).

THE DIASPORA AND THE INTIFADA

The responsibility of American Jews.

Rabbi Ben-Zion Gold

A speech delivered at Harvard Hillel, Cambridge,
Massachusetts, April
14, 2002.

 I’ve been a Zionist for about seventy years. When I
was eight years
old I was already reading a book about Yemenite Jews
who had settled in
Palestine. I grew up in a traditional home, and the
prayers that I
recited daily have at least thirty references to Zion.
Living in
anti-Semitic Poland, I knew that we were in exile and
I was longing for Zion.

When I came out of the concentration camps I
discovered that I was the
sole survivor of my family. Faced with the choice of
going to Israel or
America, I accepted the opportunity of a safe life in
America against
my preference for Israel. In many ways I still feel
more at home in
Israel.

In November of 1947, when the fate of Israel was
discussed at the
United Nations, I was in Cincinnati at the national
meeting of young
Zionists. When the news reached us that they had voted
to partition Palestine
into a Jewish and a Palestinian state we went out and
danced in the
street for joy.

In 1948 I volunteered to fight in Israel, but I was
rejected. I had no
experience in handling weapons, and they were looking
for young war
veterans.

I spent the year of 1955–1956 in Israel. That spring,
Israel was
preparing to respond to the repeated attacks of
Fedayeen who came from Egypt
and terrorized the border kibbutzim. I went on
bitzurim, building
fortification trenches.

In short, throughout my conscious life I have been, as
I now am,
devoted to Israel. But my devotion, which began with
unquestioning support
for the policies of the Israeli government and the
actions of Israeli
society, became increasingly critical beginning with
the building of
settlements in the West Bank and especially during the
Lebanon War in 1982.
I felt that the settlers were taking advantage of
twice-defeated and
helpless refugees. I wondered, where is the compassion
and generosity
that is traditionally attributed to Jews? As a
religious Jew I was also
offended by the use of Biblical texts to justify the
outrage. I was
convinced that the accumulated hatred from the
persistent injury and insult
eventually would fuel the fires of revolt and
vengeance. Our rabbis
taught “Aveira goreret aveira”—“One sin leads to
another;” the wish to
keep the West Bank led to the war in Lebanon. Ever
since then, my devotion
to Israel has been informed by what I learned from
reading literature
about the conflict, including the Israeli press, and
from personal
experience during my frequent visits to Israel.

Now to the subject of my talk. Today I want to discuss
several
questions: What is the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
about? Can it be resolved
with power alone? And what is the role of American
Jews in this
conflict?

As to the first question, the conflict is about
Palestinian
self-determination. When the West Bank came under
Israeli occupation in 1967, it
was populated by Palestinians—most of them refugees
from the 1948 war.
The Oslo agreements kindled their hope for a sovereign
state in Gaza and
the West Bank, covering 22 percent of the original
area of Palestine.
The building of Israeli settlements in parts of the
West Bank has
frustrated their hopes. At this point, three
generations of Palestinians have
lived for thirty-five years under Israeli occupation,
and the
persistent building of settlements on their land has
led to a violent conflict.

The current Intifada erupted after Israeli-Palestinian
negotiations for
a comprehensive settlement failed. The precipitating
event was Ariel
Sharon’s visit in September 2000 to the Al Aksa Mosque
accompanied by a
thousand people, among them members of the Likud party
and countless
policemen. Sharon’s visit was calculated to emphasize
Israeli sovereignty
over the area of the Muslim shrine. Israeli security
warned that the
visit would spark an explosion. Yasser Arafat even
asked Prime Minister
Ehud Barak not to authorize the visit. The following
day, Palestinians
in Jerusalem and in the territories protested the
visit. The police
responded with fire, killing several Palestinians and
wounding a large
number of them. Historians will debate whether that
visit started the
revolt; as far as I am concerned these events were not
coincidental.

When Sharon was elected Prime Minister, his commitment
to keep the
settlements precluded the possibility of a peaceful
resolution of the
conflict. To fulfill his promise to bring peace and
security to Israel,
Sharon reverted to his objective in the Lebanon War in
1982: “to crush the
PLO and drive its remnants out of Lebanon.” In this
instance, his
purpose was to crush the PLO, destroy the Palestinian
Authority, and exile
Arafat.

To gain perspective on the conduct of the present
conflict it is
important to review the war in Lebanon in 1982, in
which the main actors,
objectives, and methods were the same as in the
present conflict. Sharon
had been authorized by the Begin government to go
forty kilometers into
Lebanon to silence the PLO forces that were attacking
Israel. Instead,
he went all the way to Beirut. Convinced that a
radical solution was in
order, he disregarded his promise to the cabinet and
turned a limited
operation that was to last twenty-four hours into a
full-scale war that
took the Israeli army all the way to Beirut to
confront Arafat and the
PLO.

There were officers who were uncomfortable with the
extended campaign.
Professor Benny Morris, in his monumental book
Righteous Victims,
describes the meeting of brigade commanders at the
planning of the assault
on Beirut:

General Drori presented the draft plan at a meeting of
brigade
commanders. A number of them raised objections . . .
Col. Eli Geva, a highly
esteemed officer, voiced objections of principle: What
was the point of
the proposed assault? Was it worth the Israeli and
Arab lives? A few
days later, Geva’s opposition crystallized. . . . He
informed his
superiors that he wished to be relieved of command of
his brigade if it was
ordered to advance on Beirut, and offered to continue
to fight . . . as a
private. The offer was rejected, and after [Gen.
Rafael] Eitan, Sharon,
and Begin failed to persuade him to back down, he was
cashiered.

When the war in Lebanon ended, Israel had suffered 650
dead and close
to 3,000 wounded. The PLO lost about 1,000. There were
also many
Palestinians and Lebanese who died in the bombardment
of Beirut. Ze’ev Shiff,
Israel’s leading military analyst, and Ehud Ya’ari,
the foremost
foreign affairs commentator, described the invasion:
“Born of the ambition of
one willful, reckless man [Sharon], Israel’s 1982
invasion of Lebanon
was anchored in delusion, propelled by deceit, and
bound to end in
calamity.”

An early example of Sharon’s tendency to resort to
drastic measures is
his treatment of the people in the border village of
Qibya. On the
night of October 12, 1953, a grenade was thrown into a
house in the
settlement of Yehud, killing a woman and two children.
The retaliation was
carried out by an army unit under the command of Major
Sharon. They went
into the border village of Qibya and killed sixty of
its inhabitants.
Several days later Foreign Minister [Moshe] Sharett
noted in his diary,
“A reprisal of this magnitude . . . had never been
carried out before. I
paced back and forth in my room perplexed and
completely depressed,
feeling helpless.”

In addition to the moral outrage, one has to ask what
were the
aftereffects of that butchery? The sixty people had
relatives and these
relatives were bound by Islamic rules of blood
redemption. The policy of
massive retaliation has done more to build the PLO
than to deter it.
II

To return to the present conflict: The repeated
suicide bombing attacks
that murdered countless civilians in the cities and
towns of Israel
turned the Intifada into ubiquitous terror. Israelis
became prisoners in
their own homes. The shattering experience of almost
daily seeing men,
women, and children blown up beyond recognition has
had a traumatizing
affect upon the people of Israel. In addition to
causing pain and
sorrow, suicide bombers are emotionally unsettling.
Turning oneself into a
projectile is an eerie notion. Suicide bombing also
prevents punishment
of the perpetrator and deflects it onto others. It is
therefore not
surprising that, faced with this surreal and
frightening situation,
Israelis gave Sharon their support in the hope that he
would free them from
it.

Israel had to respond to the suicide bombings. The
question was one of
extent. Sharon again chose radical measures aimed at
the destruction of
the Palestinian Authority, which from his point of
view was conceived
in the sin of the Oslo accords. At this point in the
conflict, the idea
that one can destroy the cadres of Palestinian
fighters is tragically
naive. No amount of mental gymnastics can change the
fact that young
Palestinians become suicide bombers because they have
reached a point of
despair, of having nothing to lose. The only way to
eliminate the
suicide bombings is to eliminate the conditions that
give rise to them.

Sharon’s war against the Palestinians is burdened, as
it was in
Lebanon, by his obsessive hatred for Arafat. Sharon’s
public regret that he
did not kill Arafat in Lebanon, and his repeated
expressions of contempt
for him, give the impression of a man engaged in a
personal vendetta,
out of control. No statesman would have allowed
himself such huffing and
puffing in public.

One might ask, did Sharon have a peaceful alternative?
His expressed
goal of routing the PLO and its leader would preclude
such a possibility.
But in fact, peaceful solutions were offered twice and
were rejected by
him. On January 2, 2002, Hanna Kim of Ha’aretz
reported about the
hudna, an armistice agreement from Muslim culture
proposed by Eyal Ehrlich,
a businessman who in the process of his business
dealings witnessed a
peaceful resolution of a bloody dispute between two
clans in Amman,
Jordan. There he learned that to arrive at a
reconciliation, a delegation
of notables must be sent to express regret for the
spilling of blood and
to propose a cease-fire for a limited period called a
hudna. During the
hudna the parties negotiate an end to the dispute.

Mr. Ehrlich consulted with his friend and business
partner, the former
Palestinian Knesset member Abdulwahab Darawshe, and
the two of them met
with Professor Joseph Ginat, an expert in the area of
intra-Islamic
conflicts. The three of them then wrote a letter to
Mr. Sharon to propose
the idea of the hudna, but they received no answer.
President Moshe
Katzav of Israel and Mr. Arafat were both prepared to
participate in the
hudna, but Sharon did not even bother to answer the
letter. When the
diplomatic correspondent for Voice of Israel revealed
the plan, the Prime
Minister’s office issued a response calling the plan
“stupid” and “a
trap for fools.”

At about the same time, transportation minister
Ephraim Sneh proposed a
year of quiet in the Intifada in return for a yearlong
freeze on Jewish
settlements. Sneh presented his initiative after he
had checked it out
with Arafat and his people. This proposal was also
rejected by Sharon.
To me that can only mean that Sharon did not want
peace. What did he
want? And why?

Sharon’s commitment to keep the settlements, which he
had encouraged
and helped to build, left him with no peaceful
solution. His radical
solution to eliminate the Palestinians as a threat to
Israel had also
failed. The first Intifada resulted in a death ratio
of 1 Israeli to 10
Palestinians. The ratio of this Intifada is 1 to 3. In
recent skirmishes
Palestinian retaliations have equaled their losses.
Without a peaceful
solution, the present phase of the Intifada already
bodes ill for Israel.
Sharon’s excessive use of power not only did not solve
the problem, it
stimulated the Palestinians to fight with greater
determination and
resourcefulness.

Is Arafat responsible for the terrorism? The answer is
yes. I also
believe that his objective has been the destruction of
Israel. Should
Israel negotiate with Arafat? He is the elected leader
of the Palestinians.
But he lies! And yet all leaders in a military
conflict lie. Can he be
trusted to live up to his promises? Only if the
Palestinians have
something to lose and Israel is powerful militarily.
What about the suicide
bombers? They have to be recognized for what they are.
They are an
indication of the degree of Palestinian hopelessness
and desperation. These
young people are faced with a bleak future. They are
deeply aggrieved,
and many of them are willing to die to hurt the Israel
that has hurt
them for many years. Without any gain, Arafat dares
not demean their
sacrifice. At this point it is hard to tell who
controls whom.

As to the puzzling question of why Arafat did not
accept Prime Minister
Barak’s generous offer at the Camp David negotiations:
Having read
books by two of the Israeli negotiators—former
minister of justice Yosi
Bailin and Gilad Sher, a personal aide to Barak—I have
come to the
conclusion that his rejection may have been justified.
Regrettably, these
books are not yet available in English. Both of them
point to the negative
aspect of the initial meetings between Barak and
Arafat. Despite his
repeated emphasis on a partnership with Arafat, Barak
arrived with a plan
for negotiations which he imposed on the Palestinians,
ignoring their
expectations. The Palestinians expected that Barak
would first fulfill
the Wye River Plantation agreements made with Benjamin
Netanyahu that
called for ceding land to the Palestinians, but Barak
decided to put this
off until the final agreement. They expected a halt to
the building of
new settlements during the negotiations, and they
expected that Barak
would complete the release of prisoners begun by
Netanyahu. But Barak’s
conception of “working together” was that they accept
his prescriptions
and deadlines. The Palestinian leadership that had
been treated with
condescension for so many years did not take kindly to
the doubletalk of
partnership and dictate. The resultant loss of trust
may have led to
the Intifada.

It is clear that Israel could not have prevailed
without the use of
force. It is equally clear that Israel must continue
to be militarily
powerful. And I hope that it will also become clear to
the Israeli
government and society that the conflict cannot be
solved by power alone. By
what then? By removing the basis for the conflict.

The settlements on the West Bank have been a grave and
costly mistake
that has done much harm to Israel. Can Israel allow a
failed adventure
to determine its fate? Most Israelis favor the
creation of a Palestinian
state in the West Bank and Gaza. Will Sharon rise
above ideology and
accept this mandate of his people? Meanwhile, it seems
that a solution
may come from an unexpected source.

Palestinians’ willingness to die for their cause seems
to have had an
influence on the restive youth in neighboring Arab
nations, a
development that threatens to destabilize the
governments of these countries. To
avoid such a possibility the Saudi leadership has
proposed an
international conference to find a comprehensive
solution to the conflict. It is
possible that the greater good of the whole Middle
East and the Western
world may, for once, put an end to the conflict and
save both the
Palestinians and the Israelis from destruction. Such a
conference would also
have to deal with the extensive demonization of Jews
in the media and
press of Arab nations. In the twentieth century, we
saw how accumulated
hatred leads to uncontrolled violence.

It is important to note that the Saudi proposal and
its acceptance by
other Arab nations is a reversal of their defiant
position after the Six
Day War. At the summit of Arab nations in Khartoum
that followed
Israel’s victory, they declared that the Arab world
would unite to “wipe out
the consequences of the aggression” and “assure the
withdrawal of
Israel’s aggressive forces from the Arab lands.” The
Arab states committed
themselves to “no peace with Israel,” “no recognition
of Israel,” and
“no agreement to negotiations with Israel.” Their
defiance fed on the
myth that the very existence of a Jewish state in the
Arab Middle East is
an aggression. The present position of the Arab
nations is a reversal
of the Khartoum stance. This welcome change is the
result of
geopolitical necessity. It is a change that should
help Israel to overcome several
dangerous myths: that the Arabs cannot change, that
they understand
only power, and that time is on Israel’s side.
III

Now to the question of what the role of American Jews
should be in this
conflict. There is no elected body that is authorized
to speak on
behalf of American Jews. The Conference of Presidents
of Major Jewish
Organizations, with a right-of-center orientation, has
presumed to fill that
vacuum, and they have consistently supported the
policies of right-wing
Israeli governments in the name of American Jews. The
American Israeli
Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) exists for the
purpose of lobbying
Congress to support Israeli governmental policies and
actions. These
oligarchies have persistently reduced Israel to their
ideological preference
by ignoring its critical opposition. Most American
Jews have accepted
their view and are zealously opposed to criticism,
ostensibly because it
would bring down the roof of American support of
Israel.

One might have hoped that religious Jews who pray
several times daily
for peace and who affirm the traditional teachings
about the supreme
worth of human life would rise up against the
subjugation and humiliation
of the Palestinians. Most regrettably, the opposite
has been the case.

There is hardly any orthodox or conservative rabbi who
has raised his
voice against the moral travesty of the settlements or
the persistent
occupation of the Palestinians. In their sermons,
these rabbis
persistently justify the policies of the Sharon
government, just as they have in
the past supported the policies of Netanyahu. It seems
as if the
ideology of the settlers with regard to the
Palestinians and the ideology of
narrow tribalism have infected their supporters in
Israel and abroad,
particularly the religious communities. One has the
feeling that the
Jewish people have been mortgaged to the welfare of
the settlements.

The question of criticism came to a head in 1988, in
the second year of
the first Intifada. In his Rosh Hashanah message of
that year, Prime
Minister Yitzhak Shamir warned American Jews that “we
cannot afford the
luxury of public disagreement, or public criticism
that plays right into
the hands of our enemies.” To this day I fail to
understand how a prime
minister of a democratic nation with an active
political opposition
would attempt to silence Jewish criticism abroad.
Israel has been in the
news more than any other nation its size. The American
press and media
have persistently covered Israeli politics and action.
The English
edition of Ha’aretz, Israel’s leading newspaper, is
sold in Harvard Square.
So wherein the danger of American Jewish criticism? Is
it the criticism
that is harmful, or the policies and actions that are
criticized? But
Shamir’s warning found a powerful following among
American Jews. These
people have failed to see that having become
apologists for the actions
of the Israeli government, they have also become
culpable for its
misdeeds.

In our time, the intolerance of criticism has reached
the hysterical
proportion of calling for a boycott of leading
American newspapers,
including the New York Times, the Los Angeles Times,
and the Washington
Post, as well as other media outlets. On May 23, 2002,
the New York Times
reported organized punishment of media for what was
viewed as
pro-Palestinian coverage of the conflict. The
criticism was led by Rabbis Haskel
Lookstein and Avi Weiss, both of New York. These
critics seem to be
saying, “Don’t tell us that thousands of houses were
destroyed,” “Don’t
tell us that civilians were killed,” “Don’t tell us
that delays at
checkpoints have resulted in the deaths of sick
people,” “Tell us the news as
we like it.” How pathetic! Expressions of sympathy for
the suffering of
Palestinians have become a major issue. An example of
this intolerance
was the booing of Paul Wolfowitz, the U.S. deputy
secretary of defense
who spoke on behalf of President Bush at the large
pro-Israel rally,
when he acknowledged that “innocent Palestinians are
suffering and dying
in great numbers as well.”

It is painful to see how much effort and money is
being spent on an
attempt to impose upon the media and the American
people an ideological
spin on the conflict. It may well be that the
prolonged immersion in the
Holocaust and its misuse for political purposes has
come back to haunt
us with a vengeance. For a long time the identity of
American Jews was
deeply influenced by Israel and by the Holocaust.
Israel represents the
Jews who fought and won a state and have the power and
will to defend
it. But the Holocaust has bred an insecurity that
dwarfs even that
power. When Israel is challenged, that insecurity
surfaces to overwhelm the
Jewish people in Israel and in America. Only this
hypothesis explains
how an otherwise generous and sensitive people have
acted against their
proclivities, their moral beliefs, and their long
tradition of welfare.

The minority whose love for Israel prompts them to
provide a critical
perspective have a difficult but important function to
perform. The
critical opposition in Israel is alive and active. A
recent demonstration
at Rabin Square in Tel Aviv brought together more than
50,000 people.
The combatants’ letter opposed to serving in the
territories, signed by
463 officers of the Israeli Army, is a deeply moving
expression of
conscience and courage that should serve as an
inspiration to us. Our role
is to support the forces in Israel that want to make
sure that, in its
battle for security, Israel retains its sanity and
soul. In this task we
have to organize the disparate groups throughout this
country into a
vocal force against the “see no evil, hear no evil”
majority of American
Jews.

American Jews, who are the largest Diaspora community,
have to discover
their own focus, independent from Israel. We are not
the Galutniks that
Zionism in its earlier phase belittled as people who
prefer the
fleshpots of Egypt to a courageous and independent
life in Palestine. This is
an ideological distortion of Jewish history. We are
the proud heirs of
the Diaspora communities that have been a normal part
of Jewish life
for 2,724 years, ever since the kingdom of Israel was
destroyed and its
people exiled. The Jews of the Babylonian and later of
the Persian
Diaspora collected and edited the Torah that the
priest and scribe Ezra
brought to Jerusalem, on which the people covenanted
to live. That was when
the Jewish people became the people of the Book whose
continuity no
longer depended on territory or Temple.

The Diaspora has been a creative form of independent
communal life in
every part of the world. The Diaspora produced the
Talmud, the
foundation of Jewish law that structured and governed
our communal and personal
life. The Diaspora gave us Jewish philosophy, poetry,
ethical
literature, and mysticism. The eastern European
Diaspora created Hasidism, the
Hebrew Haskalah, and Zionism. It was the Jews of the
Diaspora who
settled in Palestine and created the Jewish state.
Throughout its history,
the Diaspora recognized that it was but a part of
Jewish life and
accorded Zion a place of honor, and prayed for its
restoration and welfare. We
have to reject the notion that we are failed Zionists
or that our role
is to support, submissively and uncritically, the
policies of the
Israeli government.

American Jews have to link up with that proud history
of the Diaspora.
They have to rediscover their cultural, religious, and
political
gravity. Only then will the Diaspora be ready to enter
into a mutually
creative relationship with Israel. At present, most
American Jews who do not
read Hebrew have no idea of the many-faceted
literature on every aspect
of life that is being created in Israel. News coverage
acquaints us
mainly with Israel’s problems. Hopefully, the
impressive network of Jewish
learning at American universities will produce an
informed
intelligentsia that will assume leadership in Jewish
life.

But these are hopes for the future. At present, the
task of Jews who
are committed to the welfare of Israel is to hold up
the critical mirror
for Americans and Israelis. This is a thankless but
important task. We
have to admit that not all of the people who criticize
the way Israel
has dealt with the Palestinians are anti-Semites.
There are enough
anti-Semites in the world without them. We also have
to admit that not all
those who side with the Palestinians in their conflict
against Israel do
so because they dislike Jews.

A nation as powerful as Israel has to accept
responsibility for its
policies and for its actions. It is not American
Jewish criticism that has
created sympathy for the Palestinians. It is the
suppression of
millions of Palestinians over thirty-five years that
has done it. It is a pity
that the Israeli government has never expressed regret
for the harm it
has done to the Palestinians during the occupation. An
ounce of
compassion would go a long way.

Those of us who criticize Israel do so because Israel
is an important
part of our identity, because criticism is an integral
part of our
traditional culture. While it is true that American
Jews do not provide the
main critical perspective for Israel—that is done very
well by liberal
Israelis and by Ha’aretz and Yediot Ahronot, two
important Israeli
newspapers—ours is the critical perspective of
American Jews. That, too, is
important, for us as well as for Israel. We offer it
as an expression
of respect and love for the people of Israel.

I want to conclude with the words of the prophet
Micah: “He has told
you, O man, what is good, and what the Lord requires
of you: Only to do
justice and to love goodness, and to walk humbly with
your God.” By all
means, humbly.<

Rabbi Ben-Zion Gold is director emeritus, Harvard
Hillel.