[Peace-discuss] Re: Informing Congressman Johnson

Lisa Chason jnp at ux6.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 3 14:50:22 CDT 2002

Computer problems prevented me from earlier also reporting on Representative
Tim
Johnson's town meeting. Now I'll just add some points to Carl's message:

There were around 50 people there (not counting the dozen members of his
youthful staff that sat at the head table, on either side of the podium, and
with whom the Congressman often conferred before making his remarks). I'd
say around 2/3 of those in the audience were associated with or appeared
sympathetic to AWARE issues.
The subject of Iraq was brought up quite a few
times, the audience always against the prospect of war. At one time a show
of hands was called for and
almost everyone raised their hand. When asked his positon Mr. J. took the
classic politician's dodge, saying he didn't have enough information. He
didn't seem to realize that the fact that Congress doesn't have this info is
already quite a problem.
The other issue brought up most often concerned
mental health funding (David Green suggested nat'l health insurance might
help).
Also interesting was that Mr Johnson acknowledged Carl's presense both early
on and in
the end, giving Carl the mic to say some last words. As Carl points out, it
would be better if the Congressman agreed to a debate.

Lisa