[Peace-discuss] Sen. Byrd (D-W.Va.) calls out W on ploy

R. Brad Scott r.b.s.x.c.o.t.t.nospam at sharpmarble.com
Tue Sep 24 17:45:52 CDT 2002

(linked to from VillageVoice.com)

http://www.wvgazette.com/display_story.php3?sid=200209213

Sen. Robert C. Byrd, D-W.Va., said President Bush's plans to invade Iraq
are a conscious effort to distract public attention from growing problems
at home.

"This administration, all of a sudden, wants to go to war with Iraq," Byrd
said. "The [political] polls are dropping, the domestic situation has
problems.... So all of a sudden we have this war talk, war fervor, the
bugles of war, drums of war, clouds of war.

"Don't tell me that things suddenly went wrong. Back in August, the
president had no plans.... Then all of a sudden this country is going to
war," Byrd told the Senate on Friday.

"Are politicians talking about the domestic situation, the stock market,
weaknesses in the economy, jobs that are being lost, housing problems? No."
"Congress will be putting itself on the sidelines," Byrd told the Senate.
"Nothing would please this president more than having such a blank check
handed to him."

Byrd said his belief in the Constitution will prevent him from voting for
Bush's war resolution. "But I am finding that the Constitution is
irrelevant to people of this administration."

R. Brad Scott
r.b.s.x.c.o.t.t.nospam at sharpmarble.com

"People do not like to think.  If one thinks, one must reach conclusions.
Conclusions are not always pleasant." -- Helen Keller