[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] P4P parking

Clint Popetz clint at ucimc.org
Fri Apr 4 13:03:44 CST 2003

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 12:48:39PM -0600, Randall Cotton wrote:
> If you come up from the south side (say, by taking the grey line to
> bloomington and prospect), you'll have to pass through any
> counter-protestors, which might be particularly unpleasant if you're
> carrying an "Impeach Bush" sign =8-)

This can be a _really_ interesting experiment though.  When I biked
out there two weeks ago pulling my kids in a bike trailer, I was
_very_ up close and personal with them (about two feet from their
faces.)  As I approached, I got a lot of warm smiles and hellos, the
kind of friendliness one exchanges with any human being, or at least
hopes to.  As I passed, and they read the "Attack Iraq: NO!" sticker
on the back of the trailer, a wave of insults, jibes, and shouts,
followed.  It revealed to me how easily one can dehumanize others, and
how quickly it can happen.

<soapbox>

I encourage people not to isolate themselves from pro-war people.
Wear your No War pins into Ron's Campus Locksmith (a very pro-war
establishments) and SMILE.  Talk to people in line next to you at
stores, when they look askance at your button.  These people are all
human, and they all have love, fear, insecurity, and hope.  They are
just at different points in their lives, with different backgrounds,
and different exposures to diverse views.  If we don't try to make
connections with the people who don't share our views, we are a living
example of the kind of group-think and isolationism that led us to yet
another war.

</soapbox>

				-Clint

--
Clint Popetz                   Home:  217-398-3831
  Urbana-Champaign             IMC:   217-344-8820
    Independent Media Center   Email: clint at ucimc.org
      Radio News Coordinator   USPS:  502 W. Washington Champaign, IL 61820