[Peace-discuss] Re: humanitarian drive ideas

patton paul ppatton at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sun Apr 6 16:30:07 CDT 2003

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 peace-discuss-request at lists.cu.groogroo.com wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: More thoughts on Proposal for Humanitarian Drives--text (with footnotes) (Linda Evans)
>
> --__--__--
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 06:39:21 -0800 (PST)
> From: Linda Evans <veganlinda at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] More thoughts on Proposal for Humanitarian Drives--text (with footnotes)
> To: Ken Urban <kurban at parkland.edu>, peace-discuss at lists.groogroo.com
>
> Ken (and all),
>
> I really love all these ideas about community outreach
> and I think this is really important.  Since we don't
> have a lot of time in our Sunday meetings to discuss
> this and put these ideas into action, I would be more

While humanitarian drives to help local poor or needy people would
certainly be a worthy endeavor, it seems to me that we could best express
our view of a more compassionate and humane world order by directly
helping the people of Iraq.  There are now a number of humanitarian
assistance agencies, including Oxfam, the International Red Cross/Red
Crescent, and UNICEF that are conducting fund drives for humanitarian
assistance to the people of Iraq.  I think a good goal for a humanitarian
drive would be to raise money to donate to these organizations.  If the
pro-war people really mean what they say about wanting to liberate and
help the people of Iraq, then we should challenge them to join us in such
an effort.
-Paul P.
Dr. Paul Patton
Research Scientist
Beckman Institute  Rm 3027  405 N. Mathews St.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  Urbana, Illinois 61801
work phone: (217)-265-0795   fax: (217)-244-5180
home phone: (217)-328-4064
homepage: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ppatton/index.html

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the
source of all true art and science."
-Albert Einstein