[Peace-discuss] Re: humanitarian drive ideas

Ken Urban kurban at parkland.edu
Sun Apr 6 22:49:08 CDT 2003

Paul,

I agree, but the best (and perhaps only) way of send aid is cash.
Frankly, you can't mail a can of baked beans to Iraq.  I read some
articles on humanitarian aid in Afghanistan and they are handing out 20
lb bags of corn. I have no idea what I would cost to mail a 20 lb bag of
corn to Afghanistan, but I'm sure it's not cost effective.

It may be me personally, but I don't like just asking people for money
and don't want to see AWARE events turned into fundraisers.  I thought
the point was to have to do something besides writing a check, to get
involved in small way and food seemed the easiest thing to do, although
that my not be the case anyway.

If we can get some good press on the way ... great.

My thinking is that a new event should be easy and comfortable for
people, non-confrontational and will draw new faces into the movement.

Ken

Ken Urban for Champaign City Council
"A progressive voice for Champaign"

web: http://www.kenurban.com
email: kenurban at kenurban.com
phone: (217) 356-7987
On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 peace-discuss-request at lists.cu.groogroo.com wrote:

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: More thoughts on Proposal for Humanitarian Drives--text
(with footnotes) (Linda Evans)

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 06:39:21 -0800 (PST)
> From: Linda Evans <veganlinda at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] More thoughts on Proposal for
Humanitarian Drives--text (with footnotes)
> To: Ken Urban <kurban at parkland.edu>, peace-discuss at lists.groogroo.com
>
> Ken (and all),
>
> I really love all these ideas about community outreach
> and I think this is really important.  Since we don't
> have a lot of time in our Sunday meetings to discuss
> this and put these ideas into action, I would be more

While humanitarian drives to help local poor or needy people would
certainly be a worthy endeavor, it seems to me that we could best
express
our view of a more compassionate and humane world order by directly
helping the people of Iraq.  There are now a number of humanitarian
assistance agencies, including Oxfam, the International Red Cross/Red
Crescent, and UNICEF that are conducting fund drives for humanitarian
assistance to the people of Iraq.  I think a good goal for a
humanitarian
drive would be to raise money to donate to these organizations.  If the
pro-war people really mean what they say about wanting to liberate and
help the people of Iraq, then we should challenge them to join us in
such
an effort.
-Paul P.
Dr. Paul Patton
Research Scientist
Beckman Institute  Rm 3027  405 N. Mathews St.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  Urbana, Illinois 61801
work phone: (217)-265-0795   fax: (217)-244-5180
home phone: (217)-328-4064
homepage: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ppatton/index.html

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is
the
source of all true art and science."
-Albert Einstein