[Peace-discuss] sorry to have to write about this again

Lisa Chason chason at shout.net
Tue Apr 8 09:44:45 CDT 2003

Dear friends,
Sorry to keep disturbing you with these reports but I don't know what else to do. In the stormy weather at the end of last week our No Iraq War sign came unstapled so I took it down. Yesterday I fixed it and put it back out. This morning there was another dead squirrel lying next to the sign! Really upsetting for my kids. Called the police and an officer came over right away. Soon the animal removal van arrived. The woman examined the poor limp thing -- says it was less than 12 hours dead and we found the bullet hole. This is no road kill that someone has re-positioned. The policeman kept calling it stupid. I told him it was sick and criminal. Indeed, they told me it is considered poaching and is illegal. We agreed that they would send occassional patrol cars down the street. I told them that if something should happen to one of my cats, who go in and out of the house on their own, I will go crazy. Now you all know that too.
Lisa

by the way, this is a letter to the editor that I wrote to the News Gazette which was printed on Friday, April 4. They gave it the title 'God help us all after this ugly war':

To those who gruesomely placed four dead animals in front of our house by the No Iraq War sign last weekend; to those who think that warfare and aggression and militarism are the way to respond to problems in this world; to those who are willing to be cannon fodder in a war against a country that did not threaten us and whose neighbors did not feel threatened; to those who say we should stand behind a president who was not elected by the majority and can't face the press without a script, who has some mega maniacal vision of world dominance that has not been debated or endorsed, who has unmercifully polarized this country and is leading a profoundly divided population down a path that will surely change the course of history, who is unleashing forces in this world that he does not have the interest or the ability to comprehend.I say God help us, and God bless us everyone.