[Peace-discuss] It can't happen here--or can it?

patton paul ppatton at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 8 18:02:12 CDT 2003

 It Can't Happen Here -- Or Can It?
by Richard L. Clinton

Two old friends of mine -- a Jewish couple in their 80s, both retired
university professors who fled Nazi Germany in the late 1930s and
eventually became U.S. citizens -- made a stunning remark to me a few
months ago: "You know, all our lives we have blamed our parents and our
parents' generation for allowing Hitler to gain control. Now we're
beginning to see how powerless they must have felt to stop what was
happening all around them."

My friends' melancholy comment came back to me and a palpable chill ran
down my spine when I read about the Gestapo-style arrest of U.S. citizen
Maher "Mike" Hawash. Two weeks ago, police took the 38-year-old Intel
software contractor from his Hillsboro home and put him in solitary
confinement (according to his wife) in a federal prison. No charges have
been filed against him, and his attorneys reportedly are forbidden to
discuss the case. What is happening to our country?

I already had heard on National Public Radio a New Jersey attorney's
account of having been appointed as counsel for Jose Padilla, the U.S.
citizen arrested in Chicago nearly a year ago for supposedly planning to
concoct a "dirty bomb" -- radioactive materials packed around a
conventional explosive. After only one or two brief meetings, she was
abruptly denied access to her client, who was transferred to a brig
somewhere in South Carolina, where he remains in solitary confinement to
this day, unindicted for any crime and unable to see or speak with his
lawyer. Can this really be happening in the United States?

A few weeks ago a professor in the University of Idaho School of Law
reported that FBI agents staged a predawn raid -- in full SWAT team
regalia -- on the apartment of a Saudi doctoral candidate in computer
science, dragging him away from his terrified wife and children and
astonished neighbors.

The Washington Post has reported that around the country "at least 44
people" were being held, like Mike Hawash, under the same distorted and
unprecedented interpretation of the "material witness" law, designed for
grand jury participants. This is clearly an outright suspension of habeas
corpus, the 700-year-old cornerstone of individual civil rights in Western
jurisprudence, which protects us from arbitrary arrest and imprisonment.

The "war on terrorism" -- the surrogate for the Cold War so desperately
needed by the military-industrial complex to justify its hugely
disproportionate bite out of the federal budget -- has, of course, served
as the oh-so-convenient excuse for the erosion of our freedoms. And the
contemptible timidity of our elected representatives, who rushed to pass
the ill-named and patently unconstitutional U.S. Patriot Act unread and
undebated, helped to provide a fig leaf of legality for this abridgement
of our civil liberties.

Never has the plaintive confession of Pastor Martin Niemoeller sounded so
relevant: "They came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up
because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't
speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. . . . Then they
came for me, and by that time, nobody was left to speak up."

Richard L. Clinton is a political science professor at Oregon State
University. E-mail: richard.clinton at orst.edu