[Peace-discuss] Casualty posters

Morton K. Brussel brussel at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 9 18:38:21 CDT 2003

I don't know what the reaction will be regarding posters of US military
personnel killed in the Iraq war. Sure, the pro-war crowd will no doubt
object to having their heroes used as anti-war symbols, but I don't
know whether that's a compelling reason not to have them. who knows how
relatives of the faces displayed will react if they know what we were
doing, although the chances are as Al says.

What I do feel is that my sympathies are nowhere near as deep for our
military casualties as they are for Iraqi civilians. Hence I have been
quite lukewarm about those poster-like Marine faces. To me the pictures
seemed a little like war recruitment posters. That turned me off.

At this stage in my life I feel a there is no comparison between the
sacrifices and travail of our military relative to the horror wreaked
by their weapons on Iraqis.  There is no equivalence here.

MKB