[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Peaceful Tomorrows speaker Tonight!

Jim Buell jbuell at prairienet.org
Thu Apr 10 09:50:17 CDT 2003

At 09:57 PM 4/9/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>Please remind folks that Jeremy Glick speaks this evening, Thursday, April
>10th at 7 pm at the Y on campus.
>
>also
>- Interview Thursday morning at 10 am on WILL am 580
>- Are you available to drive Jeremy back to Chicago quite early on Friday
>morning?  Please contact me.

Thanks so much for the reminder, Carol. Should be a great talk.

It wasn't until doing a little Google-ing this morning that I realized why
the speaker's name sounded so familiar. Glick, whose father was the Port
Authority's risk manager at the World Trade Center and died there, got
shouted down by Bill O'Reilly on Fox just a few weeks ago, for voicing his
opposition to the so-called War on Terrorism. He later appeared on
Democracy Now to talk about that incident. There's a full account,
transcript and discussion on the San Francisco Indymedia website:
http://www.indybay.org/news/2003/02/1570787_comment.php

(Also, and purely by coincidence, Jeremy Glick was also the name of another
individual who was a passenger on the hijacked flight that went down in
Pennsylvania that day.)

Here's part of the transcript from the O'Reilly appearance:

>GLICK: On September 14, do you want to know what I'm doing?
>O'REILLY: Shut up! Shut up!
>GLICK: Oh, please don't tell me to shut up.
>O'REILLY: As respect -- as respect -- in respect for your father, who was
>a Port Authority worker, a fine American, who got killed unnecessarily by
>barbarians...
>GLICK: By radical extremists who were trained by this government...
>O'REILLY: Out of respect for him...
>GLICK: ... not the people of America.
>O'REILLY: ... I'm not going to...
>GLICK: ... The people of the ruling class, the small minority.
>O'REILLY: Cut his mic. I'm not going to dress you down anymore, out of
>respect for your father.
>We will be back in a moment with more of THE FACTOR.
>GLICK: That means we're done?
>O'REILLY: We're done.

jb